Dd Nv-88gtx

mknwatt

I replaced a set of BFG 7600GT OC 256MB with a BFG 8800GTX 768MB. I had one of the 76’s go bad. BFG rocks LIFETIME warranty – they fixed the card no charge. While waiting for the RMA, I grabbed an 8800GTX. The temps were running hot and I didn’t want to lose another card so I equiped it with a Danger Den NV-88GTX cooling block from www.SVC.com Here’s a few pic’s of the install.

What came in the box - topside - bottomside:

8800gtxboxfv4.th.jpg frontsideej3.th.jpgbacksidexn7.th.jpg

Stock BFG 8800GTX - top off with AS5 and thermal pads - cleaned up:

stock88000gtxft4.th.jpg fanoffgl7.th.jpgreadyfortimlp5.th.jpg

DD water block and card - installed:

timedph3.th.jpg installedoncardor6.th.jpg

Upclose installed - case pic:

installedupcloseds7.th.jpg rtgsm5.th.jpg

Now my temps before the install were: Idle 58C Load 79C

The temps after the install are : Idle 44C Load 53C

Using everest and running 3DMark06 (seemed to max it out the most - heat wise). Got the results I was looking for. The only thing now - my CPU temp. increased 2C Idle and 5C loaded. I’ll have to fix that at a later time. :)

Looks like the warmed up liquid is going from the graphics card to your proc, that may be why :)

I was thinking that my H2O loop was picking up temp. from the new GPU water block and the 240mm RAD just wasn't cooling it enuf. CPU temp went from 33C to 38C loaded, I'm not too worried yet.

Good job.....that water block looks awesome. Did that thermal tape on the small chips come with the block or did you have to purchase that?

Thx, yes the thermal tape came with it. I cut it into small squares, might of been able to cut 4 stripes (instead of 12 squares) and save time.

Looks like the warmed up liquid is going from the graphics card to your proc, that may be why :)

If you look closely at the fourth pic you'll see that the loop order is pump-->CPU-->GPU-->RAD-->pump.

What is most likely the case is that the OP isn't OCing the CPU. In a CPU only loop this allows for lower temps because the RAD is barely even loaded up at all. When the RADs start to be loaded the H2O temps do increase, because there has to be a fair temp difference between the ambient and H2O temps for proper heat transfer to occur; but those of the OP are very acceptable. What can be problematic is when the RAD is overloaded; this will result in constantly rising temps (while under load) because the RAD can't remove all the heat put into the system.

In my loop the idle/load temps are 25/33 @ stock and 28/38 under OC settings.

I was thinking that my H2O loop was picking up temp. from the new GPU water block and the 240mm RAD just wasn't cooling it enuf. CPU temp went from 33C to 38C loaded, I'm not too worried yet.

This is a result of having an additional load source in the loop; this requires a higher deltaT (T_H2O-T_ambient) to effectively remove the heat load from the H2O. As long as the load temp is constant (not continuously rising); then the 240mm RAD is handling the thermal load just fine. These are just normal characteristics of H2O cooling.

Well after some testing, I tried to increase my OC. To my suprise, I didn't see a big temp change.

Going from CPU @ 3006MHZ 1.56V (31C/38C); RAM @ 250MHz; Vid Card @ 600/900 (44C/53C)

Now with a few timings changed: CPU @ 3114MHZ 1.62V (32C/38C); RAM @ 260MHz; Vid Card @ 648/999 (39C/51C)

Here's a 3DMark06 (10746) screenie of the best but not stable OC

3d063114bz1.th.jpg

Well after some testing, I tried to increase my OC. To my suprise, I didn't see a big temp change.

This typical with H2O systems. The RAD has an optimum DeltaT that it operates at.

This typical with H2O systems. The RAD has an optimum DeltaT that it operates at.

This is my first water setup - learn as I go. Thanks for the input on the loop and RAD. I was thinking on the same lines as you - its always good to hear it for someone else. :)

does the maze4 fit on the 8 series?

Doesn't line up with mine. Most of the stock and after market coolers touch 26 heat generating points, where as the maze4 would only cool the GPU.

This card has 4 temp readouts: GPU, GPU Diode, GPU Ambient, and GPU memory. GPU Diode is running the hottest when in 3D.