Cheiftec matrix "Time to start cutting

what is with everyone and powder coating. jeez its such a rich mans thing. lol

just head over to your local auto body shop and ask them to paint it. wont cost as much as powder coat. and you get alot of color variety via PPG or Dupont

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is with everyone and powder coating. jeez its such a rich mans thing. lol

just head over to your local auto body shop and ask them to paint it. wont cost as much as powder coat. and you get alot of color variety via PPG or Dupont

Powder coating around here is not that expensive. around $75 to do the whole case inteior & exteior BUT they cant powder coat the plastic bezel.

got 2 quotes on painting the whole case $250 to $350.

I'm waiting on a quote for just the exetior pannels painted. I talked to the powder coating guy and he said just the chasis would be cheaper. So i'll see what the quotes end up being and go from there. I also have the option of painting the pannels myself, if I can find a color I like in cans.

That should look good with those replaced.

got 2 quotes on painting the whole case $250 to $350.

I'm waiting on a quote for just the exetior pannels painted. I talked to the powder coating guy and he said just the chasis would be cheaper. So i'll see what the quotes end up being and go from there. I also have the option of painting the pannels myself, if I can find a color I like in cans.

lol .. Rich people.. :eek2:

Looking good catkicker...

MUST SEE MORE!!!!

BTW are you planning on stealthing the drive bays, or just painting the bezels?

With the case having the door on it I'll probably not stealth the drive bays

with the 5.25 hard drive cage installed I will have 2 5.25 bays open. I will have 1 3.5 bay I can install a fan controller in.

Guest Blooz1

Nice job so far, Cat!

I'm jealous, though - I love to mod , have the tools, but I live in an apartment and don't have any place to work in!

I now have all of my parts for the case mod. I did get the replacement pannels cut for the areas I cut out of the case. I gave up calling stores looking for self etching primer so I bought 2 cans of it online.

I'm useing Duplicolor paints so I ordered Duplicolor self etching primer.

cheifteccasemodpartshc2.jpg

The main reason I cut the rear pannel out where the 2 80mm fans were was to have one 92mm fan exhaust for my coolit freezone does use a 92mm fan so there you have it. Alot of people 2nd guees the designers of the coolit freezone, saying it should have come with a 120mm. Well bigger is not always better. I've taken a 148 opteron to 3GHz. plus and a 3500+ Clawhammer to over 2.7GHz. with the freezone.

freezonegq4.jpg

If I end up going Intel core duo the coolit freezone will be installed in this case and the WC'ing system will be switched to cooling the GPU or GPU's

• 3 weeks later...

I get the case back from the sandblaster Thursday. The sandblaster guy does mostly auto and motorcycle parts. he uses sand that has been recycled several times so that the sand is almost like powder, it does a great job of preping the steel without pitting it.

Once I get it back I'll start the 1st phase of painting.

Self etching primer then sand and a 2nd coat of the self etching primer

Then I need to apply black primer coat.

color/base coat will be Gold metalic/metalflake

and then Candy Apple red clear coat. Not sure how many coats of the candy apple I will apply yet. All depends on how it looks after each coat of the candy apple red has been applied.

Guest Blooz1

That sounds hot, Cat!

Yer gonna throw up some pics once you lay some paint down, right?

That sounds hot, Cat!

Yer gonna throw up some pics once you lay some paint down, right?

I'm sort of hyped about this cheiftec case mod. Will be very happy to finally get started on the paint.

question for you all

"Do you think I should paint the radiator and mcp350/D5 with petra top the same color as the case?"

And what color do you all think would be good for the modders mesh front pannel and the top 120mm grille

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ima...S_Bricky_01.jpg

Black or straight gold no candy apple red?