Push pull or both?

uneedav8

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope...should be here on Wednesday:).

And I just tried out one of the new Arctic Cooling fans and I'm impressed. They push a good amount of air and are very quiet. But for water cooling I think you will HAVE to use a fan shroud because of the design. But I was gonna use one anyways so no biggie.

So a pull configuration will show a little bit better results. And even better results with both.

yea. imho, if you dont rely on the air blowing through the rad to cool something else (like me with my chipset) just go with pull. the addition of the push fan makes almost no difference, despite the fact that it moves more air through the radiator.

I think that at a certain point, no matter how much air is blowing through the radiator, the temperature of that air i going to have a much more significant impact on cooling capabilities than the volume of air.

Guest thespin

@MACarter02: No comprendo! If your water cooling system depends on the fans/radiator, how does it work with both fans off ? And why would temps go UP when the push fan is turned on ? And why wouldn't both fans on not differ from both fans off ?

Are you talking about radiator fans or system fans ?

@MACarter02: No comprendo! If your water cooling system depends on the fans/radiator, how does it work with both fans off ? And why would temps go UP when the push fan is turned on ? And why wouldn't both fans on not differ from both fans off ?

I think that at a certain point, no matter how much air is blowing through the radiator, the temperature of that air i going to have a much more significant impact on cooling capabilities than the volume of air.

@thespin

the heat absorbed by the air = (air Density)*(air flowrate)*(Specific heat of the air)*(air temp difference across the RAD)

Say if airflow rate X gives a 0.1C dT and flowrate Y>X provides dT=0.05C; flowrate Y will not provide any impact on the effect of the rad compared to flowrate X; since the heat tranfer through the rad is:

(Conductivity of the RAD)*(Area coefficient of the RAD)*[(Average H2O temp)-(Average Air temp)]

The effect of H2O cooling does depend on the fans; however, after a certain airflow level is achieved, higher air flowrates will not achieve better cooling; because the average air temp is virtually constant with increasing air flow rates.

Basically if you have the pull fans on, you get the Venturi effect, but with the push fans on it negates this effect and only pushes air through where the fan blades overlap.

MACarter: what size is your radiator? I would've expected with water cooling that load temps would not be so much higher than idle.

Basically if you have the pull fans on, you get the Venturi effect, but with the push fans on it negates this effect and only pushes air through where the fan blades overlap.

MACarter: what size is your radiator? I would've expected with water cooling that load temps would not be so much higher than idle.

MACarter02's temps look very good especially for H2O cooling. It's very typical to have around a 10-13C temp difference between idle and load.

The thing is this; at idle very little heat is produced; so the CPU temp is only slightly higher than the water temp. However, under load (even partial load) there must be a potential (temperature) difference between the CPU and H2O for the heat to be able to flow; which explains load temps ~13C higher than @ idle.

I only have a 1 by 120.

One of the biggest differences between the water cooling and cooling by air is that the liquids have a much higher specific heat than the metals used in heatsinks.

Meaning that the 1 liter of water absorbs much more energy (and heat) than 1 liter of metal. So what you will see is a FAR more gradual rise in temperatures when using water cooling, than when using air cooling.

That said, it all comes down to how fast the fluid can transfer its energy to the metal in the radiator, and then how fast that energy can be dissipated by the air flow.

I'll venture a guess that using a singular push fan results in a lot of air being deflected away from the radiator. Since you are sort of "throwing" air at the radiator. Where as with a pull fan, the air is never released from the current caused by the fan, until it passes through the radiator.

Then when using both, you approach the point where volume begins to matter less and less, and temperature begins mattering more and more.

No comprendo! If your water cooling system depends on the fans/radiator, how does it work with both fans off ? And why would temps go UP when the push fan is turned on ? And why wouldn't both fans on not differ from both fans off ?

I never had both fans off

Another downside to aircooling is that the heat must flow through a mass of the HS before it even gets to the fins; this is in essence removed from the equation in a H2O loop; and is the major contributer to higher temps in air cooling.

Guest thespin
I never had both fans off

I see that now ... misread the code part of your post ... I am up to speed finally ... :)