Push pull or both?

uneedav8

On radiators, it seems most of the articles I have read say that its better to have fans pulling heat away from the radiator as opposed to pushing air through.

What about having both?? Is it just adding more noise to have a push fan or do you guys think it will improve cooling?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could probably help a little but the only way to be sure is to just try it out and see if it lowers your temps. My guess is that it would add more air noise than it would be worth even if you got slighlty lower temps.

OT: Who is that in your sig? He looks sorta like Mad Max.

Unless you're near the limiting heat transfer capabilities of the RAD; there won't be any major difference between push or pull. However, Pull definitely is more efficient than push.

pull. always pull with a spacer b/w fan. venturi effect. must seal the gap b/w rad and fan shut

uses 100% rad surface area

Thanks for that idea. I have read about the venturi effect but never really tried it out. What I did was use an old 120mm fan and cut out the fan in the middle and use that as a spacer between the fan and the radiator. Right away....there was a noticable 2-3 degree difference and it is now quieter too :)

Guest thespin

I am surprised by what I read here ... I read that having the fan blowing air thru the radiator is better. But if a shroud is used that doesn't leak I can't see much of a difference ...

I have both push and pull. Both are Yate Loon 120mm fans on a fan controller.

Processor at 2850 MHz, 1.45 VCore

Readings taken in Everest Ultimate Ver. 3.5

Here are my current temperatures:

Idle

Pull Fan only:

Push fan: OFF	  Pull Fan: ~6V		 Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 30C

Push fan: OFF	  Pull Fan: ~12V		Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 29C

Push Fan only:

Push fan: ~6V	  Pull Fan: OFF		 Ambient: 24.8C	   CPU Temp: 32C

Push fan: ~12V	 Pull Fan: OFF		 Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 31C

Both Fans:

Push fan: ~6V	  Pull Fan: ~6V		 Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 29C

Push fan: ~12V	 Pull Fan: ~12V		Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 29C

Temps fluctuated as you may expect, but I saw nearly constant 29C in jet engine mode, with both fans on full blast.

For the Load testing, I used Orthos, small FFTs in an effort to leave my RAM out of the torture.

Load

Pull Fan Only:

Push Fan: Off	   Pull Fan: ~6V	   Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 41C

Push Fan: Off	   Pull Fan: ~12V	  Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 40C

Push Fan Only:

Push Fan: ~6V	   Pull Fan: Off	   Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 42C

Push Fan: ~12V	  Pull Fan: Off	   Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 42C

Both Fans:

Push Fan: ~6V	   Pull Fan: ~6V	   Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 41C

Push Fan: ~12V	  Pull Fan: ~12V	  Ambient: 24.7C	   CPU Temp: 41C

I actually hit 39C once or twice with the Pull fan only configuration at full blast. However, I did observe that with both fans on, my chipset temperature was lower.

This is like because I have the HR-05 SLI mounted directly in the path of the airflow of these fans.

Good post^^^. So a pull configuration will show a little bit better results. And even better results with both. I just got my new fans today but it is only possible to do a push configuration because of their design. But i'll be using a fan shroud so no worrys. Maybe i'll add three more fans to pull.