Sign in to follow this  
custom_coms

Another boring PSU thread....

Alright, so I'm building a spare rig (AMD64 3000+, 1GB OCZ Gold, Epox SLI motherboard (it was $30 cheaper than an Ultra-D, this is a budget rig), some lame PCI graphics card to get me by, 160gb HD, DVD-Burner). Along with that, I ordered a much touted Xlio Goodpower 500 watt psu. Now, heres the question:

Do I replace the 480 watt Tagan single rail, ATX v1.3 psu in the rig in my sig with this ATX 2.0, 500 watt goodpower? Normally I would say screw it, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Only thing is, I am planning on upgrading to an 8600GTS (71 watts) or an 8600GT (43 watts) in the near future (when they become available). My current card draws around 48 watts according to the charts.(obviously the 8600XXX numbers are preliminary).

Numbers: http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-ge...s-gf-6-7-a.html

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+GeForce+86...article6477.htm

So, clearly an 8600GT shouldn't be a problem. The GTS might be however. so, 500 watts, dual rail with PCIe connectors, or the 480 watt Tagan single rail that I've been using for 2 years with a PCIe adapter if i go the 8600GTS route?

90% of those charts are really off.

Older tagan stuff is nice, but does atx 1.3 = 24 pin, or was 2.0 introduced for the two pin EPS connector/PCI-E connectors? If it's 24 pin, I'd stay with that .

I used the molex to 6 pin adapter on my older card because I simply didn't feel like untangling the pci-e connector and I never had an issue.

480 is kind of pushing it as far as having enough power for the system in your sig, but tagan is good so I'm not surprised it works. If you want to get a decent graphics card plus dual core as well, then something meatier might be in order.

What does xclio do to make a good 500 watt PSU for fifty bucks? I always recommend them to the "**** it I'll just use what came with my case" people since a $69 case + $50 PSU is usually the same price as the combo, but I never understood how they made a good PSU of that power for fifty bucks. All the other brands that are any good are in the low 400s or high 300s at that price point.

I'll third the Xclio 500w, I've got one running a Core2 E6400 @ 3200Mhz w/Foxconn 8800GTS 320MB and 2x80GB RAID, watercooling, etc

been running for about 9 days straight without any issues.

long-term...can't honestly say. Short term, under heavy stress, it performs just fine (however I don't have any fancy-schmancy testing tools like PCPER or other testers do, I just try to destroy them by using them heh)

The Tagan 480 watt ATX V1.3 spec is native 24 pin psu...I went with this psu before there was even a recommended psu thread on this forum....knowing the minimum requirements for a lanparty board and that the tagan met them, and was running other peoples sytems just fine...it was like a $90 psu at the time.

Thasp, the Opteron 165 is dual core, btw. No, I wouldn't run a really high end gpu off the Tagan, but it seems even that might be possible if angry is running one off the XClio. I guess I'll probably end up sticking with the Tagan in my system because I don't feel like rewiring my case. If I really need the XClio for some reason, I'll just switch them out at a later date.

dude. dont worry

why not do trial and error?

i mean before you go ahread and buy a new one.

just buy the system first. then use the existing psu

if its no good then. then decide on a newer psu.

For my E4400,DS3,X1950,2Gb,3xHDD build im getting the XCLIO 600w for $109. Would this PSU be overkill? cause I could sure use the 50 extra bucks to go for better ram. Regarding XCLIO, I cant find a bad revew on them anywhere they sound great.

For my E4400,DS3,X1950,2Gb,3xHDD build im getting the XCLIO 600w for $109. Would this PSU be overkill? cause I could sure use the 50 extra bucks to go for better ram. Regarding XCLIO, I cant find a bad revew on them anywhere they sound great.

You could get away with a 550w psu. Mine can handle my AMD rig just fine.

Sign in to follow this