Pearly water

As I understand it; the underlying process for the pearl-lamp (shown in the link) is as follows:

• The soap lowers the boiling point of the H2O
  • The lamp heats the H2O at the bottom of the bottle
  • The heated H2O vaporizes and rises as air bubbles
  • As the vapor rises; it is cooled by the H2O around it and condenses back to H2O

IMHO In an H2O cooling loop the water would not be in the WB long enough for the H2O to reach the temperature necessary to vaporize and generate a pearl effect.

I thought it was just the turbulence of the hotter water rising as the cooler water settles that causes the pearl to form. According to the article, any disturbance in the liquid causes the effect to appear.

I thought it was just the turbulence of the hotter water rising as the cooler water settles that causes the pearl to form. According to the article, any disturbance in the liquid causes the effect to appear.

Assuming that the pearl effect is due to the turbulence:

This would only be achievable in a large container with low turbulence. i.e. the "pearl" would be be the boundary layer between the laminar and turbulent water flows through the H2O.

In a H2O loop the flow would be fully turbulent; so the "pearl" would be evenly dispersed throughout the fluid, as a result there would be no visible pearl effect visible.

If ink were injected at a steady rate into a fully turbulent flow of H2O through a pipe; the result would be a slight tint in the water downstream of the injection point.

Note:

For 1/2" ID tubing with 400L/min flowrate the Reynolds number (Re) is 3995

Fully turbulent flow in pipes for Re>2300

• 1 month later...
As I understand it; the underlying process for the pearl-lamp (shown in the link) is as follows:

• The soap lowers the boiling point of the H2O
  • The lamp heats the H2O at the bottom of the bottle
  • The heated H2O vaporizes and rises as air bubbles
  • As the vapor rises; it is cooled by the H2O around it and condenses back to H2O

IMHO In an H2O cooling loop the water would not be in the WB long enough for the H2O to reach the temperature necessary to vaporize and generate a pearl effect.

1 prob with your conclusion, not possible, when you dissolve anything ANYTHING into water it raises the boiling temp lowers the freezing temp, sry laws of chemistry > your list powers lol

1 prob with your conclusion, not possible, when you dissolve anything ANYTHING into water it raises the boiling temp lowers the freezing temp, sry laws of chemistry > your list powers lol

Explain putting salt on your front porch to melt snow if your theory is correct.