Coolermaster Realpower Pro 850/1000 Is it good ?

I have bin looking for a new PSU. And thats a hard task. I already spend 8 hours of looking true forums and reviews.

DFI Does not reccomand Coolermaster PSU´s to power DFi boards. I have looked for reviews of this PSU and all websites i have seen where very positive about it. It was very stable. And had a high output of power, and was using about 80/85% of its power. It also has 3 transformers where most PSU´s have 2.

Some Specs:

Model : RS-A00-EMBA

Type : ATX Form Factor 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.91

Input Voltage : 90~264V (Auto Range)

Input Current : 15A@ 115 Vac / 8A@ 230 Vac

Input Frequency Range : 47~63 Hz

PFC : Active PFC(0.99)

Power Good Signal : 100~500 ms

Hold Up Time : >17 ms

Efficiency : >85% Typically

MTBF : >100,000 hrs

Protection : OVP / OCP / OTP / OLP / Short / Full Protection

Output Capacity : 1000 Watts Continuous

Max. Output Capacity : 1200 Watts

Dimension : 150(W) x 180(L) x 86(H) (mm)

Operation Temperature : 0~50℃(Nominal Input Voltage)

Safety : CE / cUL / TUV / NEMKO / BSMI / FCC

e2ba02dc3c72c4c6af270e025ff4093f.jpg

1033b66ac7e47cf9c9dba0e58024d251.jpg

45c533965bff7312832b15419076e1e3.jpg

9d660cf0aadee9f9098993cc686c3ca8.jpg

Why This PSU you might think ? Well. I want a PSU that spends its power well and thats not very expencive like the Enermax Galaxy or the PCP&C PSU's. And the biggest problem is i want a PSU that has the new 8P PCI-E 2.0 connectors that are needed to power the new ATi R600 cards.

The new 1000 Watt model already has those. Many Enermax PSU's also have that. But the good PSU ( The Galaxy ) Is like 300$ and did have some voltage instability's.

I cant figure out if this PSU is able to draw like 40A over a single 12v " rail" Like the Corsair HX620. ( this PSU has 18A lines but if needed it can also take the power from the other lines and combine it ) I have send a e-mail to coolermaster. But i had no response so far.

So what do you guy's think about this PSU ? Or is there someone that has one ?

I strongly recommend a single +12V rail PSU for highend SLI/CF.

PC P&C 1KW-SR

Silverstone OP 1000W, OP/DA 850W (new).

From EOC PSU Guide:

All PSU's recommended for highend systems need to be Single +12V Rail PSU's.

This has now become necessary for several reasons:

PSU manufactures are now assigning the rails on their multi-rail (3 or more +12V rails) PSU's in whatever fashion pleases them.

Motherboard manufacturers are now requiring additional power connectors, beyond the standard ATX & P4/EPS connectors.

Sometimes the interaction of these unique rail assignments & additional power connectors results in mobo/PSU incompatibility.

All of these problems are of course caused by the ever higher power demands of ever more powerful GPU's.

Most Dual +12V Rail PSU's are not effected as one rail "should always" be used exclusively to power the CPU via the P4/EPS connector, however Dual Rail PSU's that follow the specs can not power highend SLI systems.

Therefore all PSU's recommended for highend systems now need to be Single +12V Rail PSU's.

Please note that the Seasonic built Corsairs & Antecs (HE & Trio) are, regardless of advertising,

Single +12V Rail PSU's, in that there is no per-rail current limiting, meaning that any +12V rail can pull whatever +12V amperage is available. This is also true of the Seasonic M-12's.

The Corsairs are built to higher standards than the Antecs.

From PC P&C's Power Supply Myths Exposed!: http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

8. ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?

With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you’d think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it’s not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply’s rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets “trapped” on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.

From Silverstone: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-da750.htm

"With the knowledge that single +12V rail power is the next generation power supply, SilverStone Technology introduces Decathlon series, offering enthusiasts more choices with single rail power selections to handle their system."

Yeah the question is are these 6 Lines the same as the 3 Corsair lines ? Corsair say's 1 lines does 18a. But it was possible to pull 40a over a single line.

So thats the big question. And i have not seen a review that tested the coolermaster in that way :'(

What kind of PSU review?

"ZOMG I PLUGGED IT IN AND IT WORKED WITH MYSYSTEM FOR A GAME", or an actual PSU review?

Most PSU reviews I read are bunk. One I rread actually claimed some design wasn't as good because it wasn't modular and it had an 80mm exhaust instea of a 120mm intake.. what people come up with. :)

What kind of PSU review?

"ZOMG I PLUGGED IT IN AND IT WORKED WITH MYSYSTEM FOR A GAME", or an actual PSU review?

Most PSU reviews I read are bunk. One I rread actually claimed some design wasn't as good because it wasn't modular and it had an 80mm exhaust instea of a 120mm intake.. what people come up with. :)

What is with you & Coolermaster?

Do you own a lot of their stock?

There are better PSU's in the world & the DIY members have recommend quite a few of them.

Is was quite a good review with multiple load tests. Multiple PSU's where tested in the same review. ( Shoot out ) And They did some extra tests.

Whats with me And Coolermaster ? Well They have the connectors i want so see on a PSU ( The 8P PCI-E Connectors ) And they are affordable ( 190$ ). Enermax galaxy also has the connectors but that one costs 280$.

I want to have a PSU thats future proof in the wattage and the connectors. But has to have very stable voltages aswell. And a Single 12v rail. Not many PSU's fit that profile. The Coolermaster could lack that single 12v rail. But i don't know for sure. But it does have the rest of the things i need.

And many people tell the Coolermasters ain't that good. But don't they why they think that. And i have not seen people that have that Realpower Pro themselves only the older series.

PCP&C PSU's are nice. But i cant get one where i live. I have to import one form america. + is does not have the 8P PCI-E

Enermax Galaxy have some stability issues

OCZ GameXStream seems quite ok. But has no 8P Connector

Corsair HX620 that i have now is stable. I dont like the Modulair cables it has. And some say you should not use modulair cables at all. And again no 8P connector and low wattage ( 620 Max ) I would love to have a 850+.

But maybe i just want to much. Or want it to perfect.

Is was quite a good review with multiple load tests. Multiple PSU's where tested in the same review. ( Shoot out ) And They did some extra tests.

Whats with me And Coolermaster ? Well They have the connectors i want so see on a PSU ( The 8P PCI-E Connectors ) And they are affordable ( 190$ ). Enermax galaxy also has the connectors but that one costs 280$.

I want to have a PSU thats future proof in the wattage and the connectors. But has to have very stable voltages aswell. And a Single 12v rail. Not many PSU's fit that profile. The Coolermaster could lack that single 12v rail. But i don't know for sure. But it does have the rest of the things i need.

And many people tell the Coolermasters ain't that good. But don't they why they think that. And i have not seen people that have that Realpower Pro themselves only the older series.

PCP&C PSU's are nice. But i cant get one where i live. I have to import one form america. + is does not have the 8P PCI-E

Enermax Galaxy have some stability issues

OCZ GameXStream seems quite ok. But has no 8P Connector

Corsair HX620 that i have now is stable. I dont like the Modulair cables it has. And some say you should not use modulair cables at all. And again no 8P connector and low wattage ( 620 Max ) I would love to have a 850+.

But maybe i just want to much. Or want it to perfect.

Silverstone will soon introduce an 850W version of their single +12V rail OP/DA lines &

it should have the right connectors.

Silverstone will soon introduce an 850W version of their single +12V rail OP/DA lines &

it should have the right connectors.

Ah thats nice. I will look for that one aswell. Maybe Corsair will also come with a 850 watt soon. I dont know there plans but the HX620 is a good PSU. But not for the Overclockers with Quad SLI / Quad Crossfire and stuff.

And what do you guy's think about the: Tagan Voeding TG800-U25 Dual 800 Watt ?

Ah thats nice. I will look for that one aswell. Maybe Corsair will also come with a 850 watt soon. I dont know there plans but the HX620 is a good PSU. But not for the Overclockers with Quad SLI / Quad Crossfire and stuff.

And what do you guy's think about the: Tagan Voeding TG800-U25 Dual 800 Watt ?

Given their hit or miss quality, I would stay away from anything Tagan. :dog:

• 1 month later...
What is with you & Coolermaster?

Do you own a lot of their stock?

There are better PSU's in the world & the DIY members have recommend quite a few of them.

I didn't mention coolermaster. Haven't in my other posts either. I mentioned that because a lot of the PSU reviews I read sound like something I'd write.. some test voltages and ripple while it's running but not at a load over 250w, etc. PSU reviews are like speaker reviews, finding a bad one by someone halfway credible is hard.

i have a real power 550 and i thingk that it is a good psu ( insert "zomg..." here) i have a lot of cm stuff and it all works pretty good, seems to me like high quality stuff, and i am getting ready to move into a stacker case so most of my stuff will be coolermaster