EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800 GTS 640MB -- overkill?

snezzer

My sig has my new computer. Well, I don't have the parts yet. But I will be ordering them within the next few days.

I know that everyone is asking the same question: GTS 320mb vs 640mb?

And I know that there are many reviews to be read on the internet. I have read them.

I just wanted to ask my new DFI friends what their opinions were.

I game, and watch movies, and edit video on my computer.

Right now I have a 21" CRT running on 1600x1200 resolution. If I do choose to go widescreen LCD in the near future, it would be a 24" (1920x1200).

What vid card would you buy? About a $100 difference.

Thanks!!!!!!

Even though the 320 is a good performer, all of the reviews say that performance dies out at higher resolutions. The one in my sig will be upgraded as soon as I get some more coin in. Hopefully in another 2 months, the price will drop a few bucks.

Even though the 320 is a good performer, all of the reviews say that performance dies out at higher resolutions. The one in my sig will be upgraded as soon as I get some more coin in. Hopefully in another 2 months, the price will drop a few bucks.

Ya, I think I'm going to go with the 640mb. But i can't wait 2 months. I gotsta get it NOOOOWWWW!!!! :)

Hey, I noticed that you have the x-fi Extreme Music card. How do you like this for game play? If you are a gamer, of course.

I have the X-fi extreme and its pretty nice. This was going from no EAX to EAX 4 and it did make a difference. If you move from an EAX2 or EAX3 card I'm not sure you'd notice a big improvement if any.

As to MB, more is better. Future game releases will certainly like it. Quake Wars for instance uses one massive sized texture for the terrain on its maps and at the resolutions you plan to use you will probably notice a difference between 320 and 640.

I have the X-fi extreme and its pretty nice. This was going from no EAX to EAX 4 and it did make a difference. If you move from an EAX2 or EAX3 card I'm not sure you'd notice a big improvement if any.

As to MB, more is better. Future game releases will certainly like it. Quake Wars for instance uses one massive sized texture for the terrain on its maps and at the resolutions you plan to use you will probably notice a difference between 320 and 640.

Quake Wars! Yeah thats what I'm waiting for! Don't forget about Crysis which will probably kill even the 640 version! :)

Guest Retratserif

I have to agree with the fact that a single 640 may not run crysis well. Though 2 should be fine, or a single GTX tuned up a little. But by then we will have our hands on the 9k series. I am waiting untill then. I am also waiting untill next Feb to build up again.

Now as for sound, Xfi-xtreme music was the best card for the money. I bought a 5.1 Zalman Headset kit, the mic came with it. It all works so perfect. In BF2 or 2142 I can hear a guy pull his knife even if he is 12 feet behind me and 4 feet to the left. I enjoy the headset over speakers because there is no intefearance of objects and natural acustics/reverb or the angry GF. Having a 3 triple EQ with the lastest EAX on all games is a dream.

Basically the 640 and the GTX are for higher Res game playing or games that use a crap ton of ram. They day the intergrate system memory to be mapped to your video card will be the day of rejoice. So we can all get those nice new 2gig or 4 gig sticks and load up of a serious ammount of ram to crunch anything that comes.

Do any of you know anyone that has those GSkill 2 gig modules? I would think that they would perform the same, just not clock that great.