trying to OC

a_ferret

inf 975x/g

e6600

2x 1gb ampx 800 RAM

x1950 pro ati

two 25 cm intake fans for cooling

Windows Vista home premium 64

here's a problem i tried to post on a different message board.

am trying to overclock my e6600 processor to the reccommended starting point of 333x9 but have not actually gotten the computer to boot at that speed. i have it successfully OC to 300x9 right now and i believe it booted correctly at 310, but it did not work one other time i tried i believe. the error i get is a disk boot error after a few tries where i see a whole lotta FFFFFF s.

i have the boot sequence to CD and then hard drive and third disabled. it boots normally with that setup.

my motherboard is the DFI infinity 975x/g and my case has two 25mm fans, but with no solely output fan. my hard drive is a Western Digital 250gb hard drive.

advice would be appreciated. Just getting it to about 3.0 GHZ would be fine with me. thank you

also i have Wintec AMPX RAM rated at 800mhz and it claims it is good overclocking RAM. also i have Windows Vista home premium 64 bit.

also the precise place it hangs up is after (at least most) of the POST at some MAC ADDRSS with a bunch of hexidecimal numbers and then FFFFFF-FFFFF etc. tries three times and then says to insert the boot or something disk and press enter. however my USB keyboard is not responding at this time, so i havent exactly done that yet even. (and after i did that it just wants me to install windows again) also i do not currently have a floppy drive.

it appears to me that my hard drive doesnt register whenever i put the fsb over 300. also i cant actually see the hard drive in the bios, but the system still boots when the fsb is below 300. according to speedfan my highest speed (while running two prime95 torture tests with 300x9 fsb) wasnt over 50c

i havent been able to update the bios because i dont have a floppy and Winflash doesnt seem to work on my vista.

so again, any good help would be awsome.

I believe i did have the memory at 533 at one point, but i might have had something else wrong at the time.

since there is not 1:1 on/off toggle, to be perfectly clear at 300x9 or so 533 would be the most appropriate setting?

before i start rebooting my computer again to try this, i'll wait for a few more pieces of advice, and probably tomorrow.

thanks for the quick response(s) btw

533 divider is 1:1 so at 300 FSB you would only be at DDR600. It's just a good a place to start so as you clock the CPU you don't have the memory getting in the way. When the CPU maxes out, then you can see where the memory will max out and apply dividers accordingly.

i'll probably try that once tonight and if it works i'll post here again.

other question: is it at all necessary or slightly better to move up in the OCs in slow intervals as long as it is within what range you should have? i'm mainly wondering if it needs to get used to a speed a bit before you up it farther.