Ballistix PC2-8000

Recently bought 2GB of this Crucial from other forum.

Strange thing is from CPU-z the ram displayed like this?! Just wonder if anyone have this ram got the same thing or I got something bad? Thx. :confused:

2rpy8w0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally digged out the parts# from the ram & matched with the Crucial site. Yes, they are PC8000 & I think from CPU-z that is the SLI so if the board can read the new SLI spec then this ram will automatically clock to the highest spec which is PC8000.

Thanks!

What's happening here is that cpu-z is reading you the rated timings for given speeds. If you want to go for pc-6400, the timings are rated as 4-4-4-12, 2t, 24tref. If you run at pc-8000, the timings are 5-5-5-15, 2t, 30tref.

It's just the ratings of the ram as reported by the SPD chip for different straps. Worry not, you have pc-8000, but if you want stability at cas 4, they're telling you that it'll be 100% ok at pc-6400. Nothing more.

id just scream at crucial over the phone . get an rma

and theyll send you a brand new sealed kit. in under a week.

great service.

Scream at what? The info displayed in the SPD tab of CPU-Z means nothing for high end ram. Practically all DDR II ram is programmed at DDR 800 per JEDEC spec. If this wasn't done most motherboards wouldn't boot the first time.

Programs such as these create a tremendous amount of problems for manufacturers when used by people that don't have a full understanding of what they are looking at.

Thx for all info, I am good now.

So far this pair of Ballistix running with the same tight timing as the Corsair 6400C3 as 3-3-3-3 1T@ DDR800 but I think is my board's limitation, I can't get dual Prime stable over 800 at all. So I am still stuck @ 3600MHz. Both RAMs act the same, so D9 is not the factor stopping me. And its so strange, my previous P5B-e hit 3600MHz too & dual SuperPi32M is one minute faster than this P5N-e with timing like 4-4-4-12 & I believe the P5B-e (Intel 965 chipset) is 2T(no change option) & this P5N-e is 1T. So, obviously if I need to get more OC, then I should either switch back to a better 965 chipset board or 680i then.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IAmATeaf

I get exactly the same as the OP for my PC2-6400 1gb sticks. Have mine running at stock for the time being.