My Max OC - pics - x2 4200 2.8

yes it has to be something in the bios thats making it hang on boot - but only when i use it with the usb cable - if i use the firewire - it boots fine - but i changed the cable because i was having a problem with the drive - but i think i fixed it maybe i put the firewire cable back - and leave it - about the cdrw combo - i am not going to get too crazy about that - like you said - 30 dollars and 2 days later from newegg and i got a new one :) - just so happened that i was stuck with no drive to boot from - i have a image with R-Drive - so i tried to make my thumb drive bootable - i made a partion on it - but not sure if its working right - i wasnt able to make it bootable for some reason with R-Drive - so i just installed the whole program on the thumb drive - then i ran it to restore a image - and it said it had to be rebooted because of a locked drive etc. ? i am guessing because i am in windows and it cant restore while your in it -- so i rebooted and it started the process of restore - and it worked :) so thats good - but what i need to figure out is how to make it a boot disk on the partion - that would be good - then just reboot with thumb drive in usb port -

i also have Acronis drive image - i will try to make it a boot with that one - see if it works -- and also data life tools for WD drives - wouldnt work with my external if it was connected with the firewire cable - then i used the usb cable for other reasons and tried it again and then i was able to run Data life tools -- you would think WD would add that pieace of information when you download that program to test the drive with - so i ran the test and drive was fine - i messed something up yesterday when i had the external drive connected to a notebook i was working on and updating everything - for some reason i ended up with update folders and files on my external drive and couldnt delete them -says in use -- etc. - even after i disconnected the drive from the notebook and rebooted a few times - so i wiped out the drives - formatted again - ran tests - etc. - what a pain and still dont have a clue how that happened - so i changed the cable to usb - maybe my firewire cable or connection either on the drive or my MD is flaky -

• 3 weeks later...

hi - it may be your memory - i have different memory

your volts are high - how did you get it to boot at those volts and are you running at those volts all the time ?

what are your temps with those volts ? i heard that going to 1.6v and higher does take a toll on the cpu - not sure if it matter whether the temps are good or not - i am not sure - i tried to go to 2.9 and 3.0 -- i was able to run at 2.9 for a while - before it failed prime - but i had to raise the volts alot more - not sure what there were - but at one point - it started to boot and then just shut down period - everything - i though i blew the chip - board or everything - i put it back to my stable 2.8 and left it -

i figured it wasnt worth it for me - i am good at 2.8 1.55v

my temps are at around 40c under load if i raise the fans to the max on the Rad - or else it gets to about 45C with the fans on low - - the board hangs around the 49c to 51c and the chipset is one of the coolest now at around 42c at full load - so i feel pretty good about the temps with the volts i am pushing -- but i had to push too much more volts just to try to get 2.9 stable - and then i wouldnt run it 24/7 that way even if it got stable - so whats the use -

you may want to start fresh with the OC and see if you can get higher this time around or try a divider - see if that works out better for you -

cant get my 4200 past 2.65, and thats with 1.65 volts. im thinking my memory might be holding me back a bit:mad:

Yikes, that some high voltage you got there. Look at my sig. I got the same chip as you but perhaps a different stepping. Either you got a weak memory controller or your memory timings are too tight. Or you're just unlucky to get a batch that simply can't overclock that high.

I can even overclock to 2.75 GHz at only 1.42v with 8hr dual prim95 stable. So I suggest you start from scratch and slowly work your way up in the MHz. Or just get a new proc.

those volts were only to see if it would get me to anything like 2.7 ~ 2.8. but alas it failed to even get past 2.65

temps were allright at those volts, 38 ~ 42 under full load.

got a few days of soon so will loosen mem timings right of and start again.

seen a few 4200 clocks around and most seem to be getting around 2.7 so either i just got a load of poo chip or im going wrong somewhere. :sad:

my stepping is LDBFE 0612 UPMW