Sign in to follow this  
Kranthos

Abit NF7 Died =(

hey guys, my nf7-s died yesterday and I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do. The system is used primarily to play world of warcraft. It has a radeon 9800XT and 1 gig of corsair ram and a barton mobile cpu running around 1.8. Should i try to buy another mobo and keep this thing running? I have another system that is similar with a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 mobo with the same cpu and ram as the abit and that one crashes now and than. I remember reading something about a problem with corsair memory and these nf2's before. Is that true? Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just leave this stuff behind and put together an affordable 64 bit system or try and keep this stuff alive. Thanks for any advice and input!!

John

if you could buy a good cheap scket A board, it could be a cheap way to fix your problem,

if you wanna put more money buy a entry level base c2d system ...

I loved my mobile barton system I used to have. It was the fastest thing, I had the same mobo too!!

Although to move your memory over, and keep things cheap, do a 939 system and do it really cheap.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Nitemareglitch, so with a 939 board I can use my ddr 400 memory? I have 4 sticks of 512 currently that I can use. 2 sticks of the budget variety were in the board that died, and I have 2 sticks of the XMS stuff in the MSI system that I could swap out. That system has random crashes and reboots that have mystified me for awhile now and I have just learned to tolerate. I'm convinced its the memory but havent been able to tweak it just right to get the system stable.

2 days ago when the NF7-S first went down I thought it was the video card as the last few weeks the system had been exhibiting video type problems. I ordered a new AGP video card - BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X (which arrived today from newegg). I learned a lesson though not to jump to conclusions before thoroughly troubleshooting because when I opened the case and found the northbridge fan not spinning quickly realized it was the board. Anyway, not sure If I should try to frankenstein a system around the new card or return it and go 64 bit.

Thanks again for the help guys, greatly appreciated!

John

If you could find a used ASRock939 Dual-SATA2 or 939DUAL-VSTA board you could use the video card, the RAM and the 20 pin PSU.

Then all you would have to buy is a CPU.

The boards went out of production last Fall.

NewEgg has had the Dual-VSTA board listed as Auto-Notify for months now.

Who knows maybe some day they will actually get some in.

Bill

llok in the for sale section, politbureau have some socket 939 mobo, that use the nf3 chipset

that way your could use your ddr1 memory, agp video card, and buy a cheap 939 dual core cpu to fit on it

cheap and worth it upgrade

heres politbureau f/s thread

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74776 (have a mobo @ 35 and 70$)

and s10man69 have a AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice for sale @ 50$ (single core cpu)

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74388

Zeldor also have a x2 3800+ for 115$ look there

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73182

Thanks for the input guys!!

Nitemareglitch, so with a 939 board I can use my ddr 400 memory? I have 4 sticks of 512 currently that I can use. 2 sticks of the budget variety were in the board that died, and I have 2 sticks of the XMS stuff in the MSI system that I could swap out. That system has random crashes and reboots that have mystified me for awhile now and I have just learned to tolerate. I'm convinced its the memory but havent been able to tweak it just right to get the system stable.

2 days ago when the NF7-S first went down I thought it was the video card as the last few weeks the system had been exhibiting video type problems. I ordered a new AGP video card - BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X (which arrived today from newegg). I learned a lesson though not to jump to conclusions before thoroughly troubleshooting because when I opened the case and found the northbridge fan not spinning quickly realized it was the board. Anyway, not sure If I should try to frankenstein a system around the new card or return it and go 64 bit.

Thanks again for the help guys, greatly appreciated!

John

Indeed you can, there are some other good ideas up top of this post too.

Guest ElAguila

I just went through a mobo search and the s939 agp mobo's are hard to find. The one I was able to get my hands on is an AV8.