Review - Tuniq Tower 120

Thanks for posting the info -)

I was just wondering what with it being 15cm did it feel like it was going to come away from the mountings.

For example if its mounted in a desktop case you have all the weight and gravity to hold it in place.

If your using it in a midi tower then it has to remain in contact with the cpu whilst at the same time being pulled away from the chip by its own weight.

I'm not that good at explainnig things :P

It doesn't seem that heavy to me. I still have it on my desk, so gravity and leverage aren't involved yet, but I don't think it would be that much of a problem. If I try and move it at all it basically stays put (although it does move with the motherboard). I might feel better if it was an Expert and the mounting holes were top and bottom, but it does seem solid the way it is now.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm how much room do you have on either side? I'm only a few clicks away from clicking the order button :P

I've taken some snaps on my case with the AC 64 Freezer Pro.

Are you able to use the orange slots for your memory?

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/p180/1.jpg

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/p180/3.jpg

Any chance I could request a top down shot of your setup so I can get an idea on how much space its covering?

Thanks

Kosch

(EDIT)

I couldnt resist it any longer I just had to click the order button :P

Hmm how much room do you have on either side? I'm only a few clicks away from clicking the order button :P

I've taken some snaps on my case with the AC 64 Freezer Pro.

Are you able to use the orange slots for your memory?

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/p180/1.jpg

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/p180/3.jpg

Any chance I could request a top down shot of your setup so I can get an idea on how much space its covering?

Thanks

Kosch

(EDIT)

I couldnt resist it any longer I just had to click the order button :P

Too late, but yes, there's plenty of room for your memory. :D

If anyone is interested I Just built up the following

Intel E4300 OC To 3.2GHZ @ 1.5v

DFI ICFX3200-T2R/G

OCZ 700W PSU

2GB OCZ PC2 8500 SLI

The Tuniq tower 120 runs 3-5oC hotter than the following setup after 1 hour running Orthos with small fft's and the fan was only running 1200rpm.

DD 1/2" Triple TDX CPU Block

DD RD600 1/2" NB Block

DD D5 Pump set 1/2 way up the speed setting on the back.

DD / Thermochill 120 PA Rad

Xilence 120mm 68cfm fan @ 1200rpm

Sure if I put my triple RAD, high CFM fans or even took the NB out of the loop I could probably bring the water cooling temps down a bit more but a £30 air cooler against a good quality water cooling setup says it all for the Tuniq I think.

Mine just arrived Woot =)

I'm just wondering if its worth lapping it as I had a look at the base and it does look rather rough compare to some of the other heatsinks I've seen.

Mine just arrived Woot =)

I'm just wondering if its worth lapping it as I had a look at the base and it does look rather rough compare to some of the other heatsinks I've seen.

I would. I might've lapped mine but I couldn't find anything flat to do it on and I was too anxious. :sweat:

I will try it before lapping and after lapping hopefully I'll be able to report if theres any difference in temperatures in the next couple of days.

(time to dig out the stock cooler and have a practice!)

• 1 month later...

Just to give you an idea how great this cooler is, especially lapped, I just thought I'd report that I'm currently idling low/mid 20s - passively. It's probably low/mid 60s F in here. The window is open and it's chilly outside (53F), but I've got my shirt off and it's not cold in here. Orthos seems to be staying around mid 40s - passively. I haven't run it very long but it has loaded the CPU and it seems to max out low 50s on the hotter core. The other core stayed under 50.

The more of these threads I see the more I'm convinced I have the hottest running e6400 in existance. :(

It may need lapping. My Tuniq didn't do well at all before I lapped it, but lapping the Tuniq and the IHS took 20 C off load temps. One core kept getting 68+ C in Orthos with the fan on full blast.

I had low 70s at 1.535v, 3.72 GHz, tuniq at full blast on mine. It doesn't look like it needs lapping. I don't have any sandpaper or lapping stuff here. It looks like a real pain in the butt. I'm getting a quad core today to replace it anyway, so the lapping will be left to whoever buys it. :D

It would be nice if you could just do away with the IHS completely like on AMD chips, but I'd probably cry like a little girl at the idea of taking a blade to my CPU.

I had low 70s at 1.535v, 3.72 GHz, tuniq at full blast on mine. It doesn't look like it needs lapping. I don't have any sandpaper or lapping stuff here. It looks like a real pain in the butt. I'm getting a quad core today to replace it anyway, so the lapping will be left to whoever buys it. :D

It would be nice if you could just do away with the IHS completely like on AMD chips, but I'd probably cry like a little girl at the idea of taking a blade to my CPU.

Mine didn't look too bad either, but it was apparently just concave enough to make a difference. And since both the IHS and the Tuniq were slightly concave, there was enough to cause a real problem.

Low 70s seems really high to me. Hopefully your quad core will be better. :D