Review - Tuniq Tower 120

I finally got it for my birthday :D

I'm using a Tt Thunderblade fan with blue LEDs.

Installation was damn near impossible with the stock hardware on a processor with the IHS still on. I tried it on my decapitated Venice and I managed to get it on, but the bolts were just way too short to engage let alone tighten both on my Opteron 165.

So a trip to Lowe's to pick up some 6-32 threaded rod and a couple of knurled nuts and we're in business. I used the springs that came with it since those were fine. You're going to have to take your motherboard out of the case for this one.

I can't imagine it cooling all that much better. The whole unit including the base is cool to the touch. I could place the damn thing on my stove and dissipate all that heat. :D

Temps @ idle are around 29-32 according to EVEREST. According to core temp, my temps are - get this - 24-26 C on core #0!! and around 27-29C for core #1.

24 C on air, that's astounding! I mean, room temperature at 70 F is around 21 C, so to get 24 C on core #0 without having to open a window, to me, that's amazing. I can definitely see myself hitting GGG with this unit. The AS5 has not even cured yet.

Noise is at an acceptable level. Pretty much what you'd expect from a relatively quiet 120mm fan on full-blast; I don't yet have a fan controller.

I'd say I'm very happy with this unit. Just pick up some 6-32 (for K8 anyway) threaded rod from your local home center, and a couple of brass knurled nuts - what you'd expect to find with a waterblock - and you're good to go. -GS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you want to do generalsceptum is by a Gigabyte metal backplate from MWAVE.com its made by Thermalrite and that will stop the flexing of the board and what I did was use 6/32" x 1 1/2" machine screws and got some 6/32" wingnuts.

It's not hard at all to install other than the fact you have to remove you're mobo shoot I have removed it 3 times already and not so much as a knick on my hand and honestly its no different to install then any other heatsink.

Guest r3d c0m3t
No, this is OCed to 2.8 GHz and 1.5 V.

I want to know if you can push it to 3GHz or further...I think we all do. I'm quite intrigued to see if the Tuniq will allow you to do so.

Good luck. :)

I want to know if you can push it to 3GHz or further...I think we all do. I'm quite intrigued to see if the Tuniq will allow you to do so.

Good luck. :)

With the temps I'm getting, I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem pushing this to 3 Gs. I'm anxious to find out myself, though. :D

My problem is the RAM timings, I suck at remembering everything that has to be set, so everything under DRAM settings except for the divider is set to AUTO. :sweat: