Koolance Aquian ICM-510... need suggestions

Hi guys:

I am currently waiting for my Gigabyte P965 DQ6 Rev 3.3 board coming and I have researched the possible cooling for my coming QX6700 cpu. Because the board has the "crazy cool" heatpipe cooling on the chipset and at the back of the board. Therefore, mounting my old Tuniq Tower with the provided back plate doesn't seem to work. And according to Gigabyte, removing the crazy cool heatpipe cooling will void the warranty.

So I have been searching around and found this kit.

Koolance Aquian 510

Has anyone used this before?

I am just looking a drop-in kit to mount at my 120mm intake fan to cool my cpu and without messing around with modifying my case (don't have tools and don't have too much time either....:sad: )

My questions are:

1. Will there enough airflow into the case? Because the place this kit will be mounted is my only intake for my motherboard compartment due to the layout of Lian-li pc-v 2100B Plus II case

2. Since this kit has to be mounted upside down, it will the performance of this kit be affected?

Sorry I am new to watercooling.

Thanks, Greatly appreciate for any suggestions. :)

I'm not sure how well the All-in-one H2O kits really work; probably sub-par compared to a quality DangerDen/Swiftech setup. The Koolance hardware looks pretty cheap and IMO wouldn't be any better than a decent air cooler. You might consider looking at the H2O kits on DangerDen.com or Petrastechshop.com. You can always build your own kit.

If you get a 120mm RAD you can always mount it in the place of any standard 120mm case fan; so no case modding would be necessary (except mayde drilling out the fan mounting holes a bit.

Thx Rado. Appreciated for that info. :D I will look it up for sure. However, because of the layout of my case, it's very hard to find a decent place to mount the rad. By the way, I am thinking cooling the cpu only, so if I mount the rad at my main intake ... will there be another air flow into the case to cool the SB and NB with heatpipe cooling?

And for the coolant, how often do you have to change it? Does Car coolant better than the one come with manufacture?

Probably the best place for a RAD in the Lian-LI PC-V2100BII would be at the main front air intake. You would still have a fan there; since air has to move across the RAD to provide cooling to the H2O. The only consideration to make is that the heatpipe NB/SB coolers usually make use of airflow from the CPU HSF; so you'd be well advised to put an additional fan inside the case to blow air across that area.

I've never tried any of the premixed liquid coolants. I personally use a distilled H2O/Zerex (engine coolant) mix and that works very well. Usually you don't need to refill and can get by with occasionally topping off the H2O; it may be a good idea to clean out/flush the system every now and then, but it could be as little as once every few years.

if you prep all your parts, even if their new, buy flushing them with viniger then maybe a change out every year or so depending on the conditions . you get a better kit with better componants from putting it to gether your self check out ebay they have some good parts every now and then(just picked up a storm block dd maze 4 and a 120 rad for 100 aus.

automotive coolent is fine

Thanks guys. Appreicated for the info. :)

Do you guys think the reservoir with pump included mounted in the 5'25 bay a good idea? Or you guys will suggest having the reservoir and pump mounted separated?

For example, pump with reservoir like this Koolance Reservoir & Pump, RP-950 is it ok? The pump output acceptable? What's the ideal output for a pump?

(It's not like I really want koolance product. However, it's the pump w/ reservoir kit that I found on the web for 5'25 bay without drill my cases.)

What water block is suggested? I can't use any blocks needed to install the backplate to the board becaues my motherboard Gigabyte Dq6 has copper plate at the back of the cpu socket area and removing it will void the warranty :(

The best performance is achieved with the pump at the lowest point in the loop and the RES at the highest point (or just use a fill-port w/ T-line).

Neither the DangerDen TDX, Swiftech Storm, nor the Swiftech Apogee use backplates. They simply have bolts that are secured through the HSF mounting holes.

You might consider mounting the pump with double-stick foam tape.

You could always use a bay-drive res; or use a t-line and just tuck the fill-line out of view (not necessary to drill a hole through the case to use a t-line). One advantage to a t-line is that you can easily use the fill line as a drain as well.

Edit:

Always happy to help out; and you'll definitely be happy with the move to H2O.

I have read the H2O guide in the sticky. It is recommended to use 120mm rad. However, in order not to mod the case and achieve the max cooling. I am thinking using the dual 80mm rad - Black Ice Micro 2 High. What do you think Rado?

I am afraid that there will be no sufficient air in my motherboard compartment to cool the SB and NB, if I mounted a single 120mm rad at my 120mm fan mount which is the only intake for my motherboard compartment.