Sign in to follow this  
charlie22911

its offical, coretemp is crap!

i got the big typhoon today, installed it as per instructions and several online reviews. clocked it up to 334x9 1.475v and guess what the temp is?! core0 sits on ~65°C and core1 sits on around 72°C... there is no way my big typhoon with its fan going 100% using arctic ceramique, mounted perfectally, is getting that damn hot. at idle at those speeds my bios showed around ~30°C (its hot in my room). so what now? orthos ran about 10mins before it failed... need more volts i guess...

BTW, i discovered my cpu is coldbugged :D!

anyway, thanks for any input you can offor guys,

Charlie.

All Coretemp does is display the values that are held in the cpu registers for the DTS. The formula supplied by AMD to display this is very simple. Temp = Register value - 49.

Assuming there was no error during the installation of Coretemp there are only two possibilities for the temperatures readings you are seeing. Those are the actual temperatures or the DTS in the processor is faulty.

I'm getting a load temp of 56-58C on 1.392v, 2.6GHz :(

I have to reseat it now, looks like, and check the contact.

i think you may be right praz. my heatsink is as cool as the metal legs of the desk my rig is on... defenatly far from the 70°c reported. or mabye its the psu... guess thats next :(

Got news for ya Orthos Beta is Flawed because same settings I can prime for 8+ hours as well as HCI fail Orthos Beta

i think you may be right praz. my heatsink is as cool as the metal legs of the desk my rig is on... defenatly far from the 70°c reported. or mabye its the psu... guess thats next :(

Cool heatsink is not always indicative of cool heat source. This sometimes means the thermal joint is not proper or the heatpipes are not working (I've only heard of Zalman pipes ceasing to function though). It could be a really concave/convex IHS, either on the internal or external surface, the mounting mechanism is failing to provide level pressure when the case is upright (laying the case down or pressing against the heatsink to counteract the lever force can reveal this). Or it could just be borked thermal diodes. My Tuniq gets quite warm when I am running Orthos and Coretemp/A64Info/Coretemeter all report the same 53-54 degrees at 2800/1.55v (crappy 0551 UPMW).

Cool heatsink is not always indicative of cool heat source. This sometimes means the thermal joint is not proper or the heatpipes are not working (I've only heard of Zalman pipes ceasing to function though). It could be a really concave/convex IHS, either on the internal or external surface, the mounting mechanism is failing to provide level pressure when the case is upright (laying the case down or pressing against the heatsink to counteract the lever force can reveal this). Or it could just be borked thermal diodes. My Tuniq gets quite warm when I am running Orthos and Coretemp/A64Info/Coretemeter all report the same 53-54 degrees at 2800/1.55v (crappy 0551 UPMW).

heatsink is defenatly level. i carefully mounted it (bolt through). once i get a lapping kit i will work on the IHS and HS/F base. if that don't work then im going to call the diodes defective and order a new thermal probe (old one messed up :()

i still have not ruled out the possibility of a over strained PSU, and wont until i get the newone...

*PS*

just put im my OCDB entry :D