Sign in to follow this  
Ukel

Opteron 170

I'm considering picking one of these up along with a either 8900 or R600 when they come out here shortly to extend my 939 system a bit longer. Is this a logical upgrade path or should i just pool some dough and go to a C2Duo system.

For a cheap and cheerful jump into the dualcore world, an Opteron 170 is a brilliant choice. You dont need any special luck to push it to +- 2,8ghz, with luck and good cooling 3ghz ++ is within range for many.

Ofc, a C2D at 3,6ghz is almost twice as powerful, but an Opteron 170 at 2,8 still happily pushes whatever you decide to throw at it just fine.

I have spent some time considering what to do, as I plan to build a new rig to replace the one in my signature. I have decided to wait until AMD release their new core this summer so I can choose between that and a C2Q.

But until then my 2,9ghz Opteron 170 is doing just fine :cool:

"Absofrickinlutely" brother, my sentiment's exactly.... :) I'm hanging on for as long as it takes.... :P

I'm considering picking one of these up along with a either 8900 or R600 when they come out here shortly to extend my 939 system a bit longer. Is this a logical upgrade path or should i just pool some dough and go to a C2Duo system.

I would personally build a C2D system. For around $400 you can get a e4300, 2x1gb ram, and a 650i board. Of course that is the budget route, but it can easily do 3.0ghz on air and much better perfomance than the opty. Putting a 8900xxx or a r600 in a 939 system doesnt make any sense to me. On that note putting a 8800 series in a 939 system doesnt make much sense to me.

I really dont think there is enough cpu power to fully utilize the GPU. I guess it would also depend on what the system is used for and what resolutions you prefer.

I would keep your current x1900xt assuming you have 19" or smaller monitor.

For the price of one of those top-end video cards you can fit nicely into a C2D set-up.

$175 for E4300 or E6300

$200 for 2GB DDR2-800 kit

$135 for socket 775 MB( Asus, Gigabyte, Abit all have nice choices)

Or

You can get an 8800GTX for around that price. I am sure the newer 8900 series and R600 would cost more.

Conroe is cheap now is alot better than AMD 939 and you still have plenty of room to go quad core and up with this platform later down the road.

Mine talk! 939 stays until the quad cores come out! :)

Thats my plan, my next major upgrade will be to quad core.

personally, if your a gamer, it don't really matter what cpu you have, amd 3500+, dual core 170, 4300/6300, gfx card is the big thing

personally, if your a gamer, it don't really matter what cpu you have, amd 3500+, dual core 170, 4300/6300, gfx card is the big thing

Since the OP has a 1900xt he would roughly see a 35% gain just from moving to a C2D (based on personal exp with the same card and moving to a c2d). Moving to a 170 or an 8800xxx (with his current 939) is not going to give that kind of increase.

Since the OP has a 1900xt he would roughly see a 35% gain just from moving to a C2D (based on personal exp with the same card and moving to a c2d). Moving to a 170 or an 8800xxx (with his current 939) is not going to give that kind of increase.

moving to an 8800xxx would give him a big increase, especially with AF+AA

Sign in to follow this