CPU Volts - how high is too high for X2 ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i try to keep it under - but i want to know also

is in the bios - the LDT bus option - i upped the volts there to i think 1.3v - not sure - smart is telling me its 1.37v

what difference does that make by changing those volts on the LDT BUS in the bios - ?

does it help or make it worse - ?

since i upped it a bit -- its running prime for a hour now so far - before it failed in a min. - before that it ran for 2 hours and failed - so i know i am getting closer -

the only change i made since it failed is up the LDT Bus volts in the bios --

yeah i try to keep it under - but i want to know also

is in the bios - the LDT bus option - i upped the volts there to i think 1.3v - not sure - smart is telling me its 1.37v

what difference does that make by changing those volts on the LDT BUS in the bios - ?

does it help or make it worse - ?

since i upped it a bit -- its running prime for a hour now so far - before it failed in a min. - before that it ran for 2 hours and failed - so i know i am getting closer -

the only change i made since it failed is up the LDT Bus volts in the bios --

I can't help you there, sorry. I have no idea what the effect of changing the volts would be. I've never changed it... now back to overclocking. I'm so pissed at this thing.

you shouldnt need to up the chipset voltage or ltd at all.also change the chipset cooler if you havent yet,to the evercool.you should have the ram on a divider to eliminate the ram as a problem in finding the cpus limit.find the cpus limit first,since the ram speed is almost negligable to performance in the 939 platform.. the fact that you had to raise the ram voltage already shows that its holding you back.it would be sad to damage your cpu with overvoltage if it can reach 3.0 with say 1.5 vcore,but youre pumping it full of volts due to the ram crapping out.if your ram is failing,2.0vcore wont help your overclock anyway

hi - ok i am a bit lost - i have my chipset very cool running with the hr 05 with a 80mm fan on it - its actually the coolest of everything - i raised the chip set volts up one - because i though it was holding me back - but my mistake was that i raised the chip set volts and the cpu volts at the same time - i ran prime and got it stable for 8 hours - while i was doing nerovision - browsing etc. - so i know its good at 2.8 -- so now i am not sure if it was the chipset volts i upped or the cpu volts or a combo of both that got me stable - i have the ldt volts as before now that i am running at 2.8 -- my ram i have it at 255 x11 - no divider - i know my ram isnt the greatest OC'er - when i first started to OC - i didnt test to find out the max cpu - and max ram - i didnt know - since this was my first time - i started about a year ago when i put this system together - so now - i have to say - i did a pretty good job with the help from here of course and lots of reading and testing - i am 2.8 stable now

i tried 260x11 no divider and upped the volts just a bit more - i got it running stable for 2 hours - then it failed -

i just tried 300x 10 with 5/6 divider and it booted - but of course its not stable - maybe a few mins on stress --

i then tried - 290x10 with 5/6 divider and ran stress - failed in 15 mins --

i upped the volts on the ram at some point between 2.7 and getting to 2.8 -- it was having a hard time - i put dram to 2.8 and then worked fine -

i am not even sure many x2 4200 even got to 2.8 - i havnt seen any around - i would like to see there settings but cant find anyone who did it -

one of my problems is the secondary settings for the memory in the timings etc. -- i really havnt a clue there

i put it back to 2.8 and running fine - happy with it :)

just was curious to see if i could do better - i may have reached my max with cpu and mem ? dont know

if you can check my settings and if you see anything different i can try - that would be great -

thanks

do you think my cpu volts are too high for 2.8 ?

my temps are good - at full load when tested for 8 hours -

i remember there was a link to explain how to test for max cpu and ram - now i cant find it - maybe i reached my max and i dont know it --

Getting to 2.8GHz with a 4200 to me is pretty impressive. Although I haven't seen many overclock attempts at those, I'd be happy with 2.8. I'm still trying to get mine to stabilize at 2.7 with 1.58v. The moment I go past 2.52GHz at stock vcore, I have to up the volts insanely.

I lost track of what you did because of your "ramble-style" posts, lol... here's the link you wanted: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

1.55v is fine as long as your temps are in check. Me, I'm running 1.58v (it just failed, dammit) and my load temps are 48-49C. This chip hates me.

thanks - for the compliment - i havnt seen any 4200 at this speed - but i cant belieave that i am the only one that can get 2.8 - i am no expert thats for sure - and sorry about the ramble posts :) i have a tendency to write what i am thinking sometimes - not knowing that i am the only one who knows what i am thinking - lol -- anyway - i was responding to the post before yours - someone posted -

for the longest i couldnt get past 2.75 - i just added the WC setup a few months ago - and found out now the board is too hot - so added a spot fan - and will add another in the next few weeks around that area - the chip was hot with just the hr 05 tower cooler - didnt do anything for me in terms of bringing my temps down - i was pissed - then i added a 80mm to it - and bingo - its the coldest of all of them - i am changing my front Rad fans to cool better - so i am getting my temps under control now - but have to figure out my max cpu and max ram - what i didnt do from the very start - i guess i have to do now :( -- i wont be too surprised to find out that i am at or close to my max with both - i be shocked if i could get more and stable --

@chubbyfatazn i am looking at your sig - and you have the opty which everyone has and gets close to 3.0ghz or 2.9 - with lower volts than i use i think - maybe lower your memory to a 5/6 divider or post your settings for someone to help you - i think i should post mines too

would be good -

here are my settings - we do have different memory also so may not help you -

Stable 2.8 speed x2 4200 OCZ Gold OCZ5002048ELGE-K 2 GiG Memory - 3-4-3-8

FSB Bus Frequency.............................255

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................4

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................x11

PCI eXpress Frequency.........................100

CPU Voltage ..................................1.550

LDT Voltage ..................................1.30

ChipSet (NF4) Voltage ........................1.60

DRAM Voltage .................................2.80

+0.03 if not 3.2V ............................Disable

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) ....................200

1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock)..............enable

CAS Latency (Tcl).............................3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd).....................4

Min RAS# active time (Tras)...................8

Row precharge time (Trp)......................3

Row Cycle time (Trc)..........................11

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)...................16

Row to Row delay (Trrd).......................3

Write recovery time (Twr).....................3

Write to Read delay (Twtr)....................2

Read to Write delay (Trwt)....................3

Refresh Period (Tref).........................3120

Write Cas Latency (Twcl)......................Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave..........................enabled

DQS Skew Control..............................Auto

DQS Skew Value................................0

DRAM Drive Strength...........................Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength......................Auto

Max Async Latency.............................Auto

DRAM Response Time............................Normal

Read Preamble Time............................Auto

IdleCycle Limit...............................256

Dynamic Counter...............................Disable

R/W Queue Bypass..............................16x

Bypass Max....................................7x

32 Byte Granularity...........................Disable (4 burst)