CPU Volts - how high is too high for X2 ?

Hi - i finally broke my max OC - its stable at 2.8 now

with 1.550V on the Cpu and chip was at 2.7 V - Dram at 2.8 -- x2 4200

it passed super PI 32m and 8 hours prime with ORTHOS

my concern is how high can this processor handle in the volts - and how high can the chip handle -- ?

the temps were all good - my chip is the coolest of them all at around 40c full load while testing -

the cpu was around 43c full load testing and the pwmic was around 51c full load testing -- i had my side case door off -- since my apt is very hot to begin with -

my settings were - 255 x11 DDR510

now i am trying for 2.85 - 260 x11 - DDR520

i have the volts at 1.45v +special at %110 giving me around 1.55v from everest and 1.52v from cpuz --

is it ok to have these Volts to get my OC as long as the temps are around the 50c mark ?

the hottest part is my board pwmic - right now its at 54c

full load testing - chip is at 42c and cpu at 45c -

is this ok ?

thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the volts at 1.45v +special at %110 giving me around 1.55v from everest and 1.52v from cpuz --

is it ok to have these Volts to get my OC as long as the temps are around the 50c mark ?

the hottest part is my board pwmic - right now its at 54c

full load testing - chip is at 42c and cpu at 45c -

is this ok ?

thanks

1.55v is OK if your temps are in check. If your temps remain good, I would say you can take it up even higher. And it's usually recommended to keep it around 50 or below; the chips can handle more, but it makes us feel safe inside to keep it down. All up to you.

My PWMIC is 61C right now during Orthos; those things can take a lot of heat. 54C isn't anything to worry about.

Your temps are fine to me.

thanks - what about the chip Volts -- i had to push it to 2.7 from2.6v -- but the chip is the coolest part now

since i have a 80mm fan on the heatsink -

i am now testing at 2.85 - about 20 mins running orthos

i noticed on smart - the chip volts were in red - i adjusted it in options just not to see the red :) but just curious if thats ok to run the chip at 2.7 volts -

thanks

I was running my last processor, AM2 3800+ @ 1.575 for 24/7 settings and I didn't have any problems. It all just depends on the processor and your comfort zone. With my current Opteron, I don't go over 1.5v because I want this cpu to last me for a while. Your temps look good though. I wouldn't worry too much. Just remember that volts can take away some of the life-span of the processor...fyi.

thanks for the information - i dont mind if the lifespan is shorten to some degree -- i just dont want it to die in a few months :)

with normal stock settings - what would the lifespan be ?

and how much do you shorten it by if you OC with 1.6v etc.

if i can use it for a couple more years - that be great - even one more year would be ok -- i bet my psu would die first since the first one did just a few weeks ago - after a year

today is a cool day - i have my windows open and side case door off -- and temps are

cpu 44c - pwmic 52c and chip 39c - the fan on the chip cooler works great :) with out it the chip was at 50c if not more - added a 80mm fan with tiewrap and its the coolest part of my system now -

i plan on changing my fans on the Rad - to more cfm ones and that i hope should cool it a few more degrees

the board is the hottest part - i had to put a spot fan - that helped drop it 8c -- put i will add another 92mm fan with a bracket to sit on top over the memory to the right some - will use the screw on the MB to hold bracket in place and one srew on the fan - hope that works :)

thanks for the information - i dont mind if the lifespan is shorten to some degree -- i just dont want it to die in a few months :)

with normal stock settings - what would the lifespan be ?

and how much do you shorten it by if you OC with 1.6v etc.

if i can use it for a couple more years - that be great - even one more year would be ok -- i bet my psu would die first since the first one did just a few weeks ago - after a year

today is a cool day - i have my windows open and side case door off -- and temps are

cpu 44c - pwmic 52c and chip 39c - the fan on the chip cooler works great :) with out it the chip was at 50c if not more - added a 80mm fan with tiewrap and its the coolest part of my system now -

i plan on changing my fans on the Rad - to more cfm ones and that i hope should cool it a few more degrees

the board is the hottest part - i had to put a spot fan - that helped drop it 8c -- put i will add another 92mm fan with a bracket to sit on top over the memory to the right some - will use the screw on the MB to hold bracket in place and one srew on the fan - hope that works :)

Referring to your post up above (#3), I take it you mean the RAM voltage.. 2.7 is perfectly fine, a lot of RAM are specced at 2.8v.

The lifespan of these things are pretty long.. so long I bet you'll see several upgrades by the time it dies. I wouldn't be too worried about it. My Duron 950MHz @ 1.4GHz has seen service for 6 years and is still kicking, but I've upgraded 3 times already.

Good luck! I'm on all air and my temps are fine to me. Currently gonna start Orthosing at 2.8GHz, 1.53v.

hi - i was talking about the chip volt in post #3 --

i have that at 2.7 -- my Dram is at 2.8 - it wouldnt pass super PI at 2.7 so i pushed it to 2.8 and thats my limit for the ram because its still covered under the EVP protection from OCZ -- i belieave 2.8 is the max - have to double check - it may be protected up to 2.9v -- not sure -

but in post #3 - i was asking about the chip volts - i have it at 2.7v -- is that ok - ?

i just checked ocz site and the Ram is protected and under warranty up to Dram of 2.9v +/- 5% == thats the EVP protection - so thats good to know - i may have a little more i can use if i need to - trying to keep the mem running with no dividers -

2.7v is perfectly fine, as you saw with OCZ.

I can't get my 180 divider to work for crap... I can get Orthos stable at 280MHz 1:1, but as soon as I set a 180 divider to maintain that 280MHz it craps out.

i make a mistake a few post up - the chip volts are 1.7

i kept saying 2.7 and confused a few - sorry for that

i was wondering if 1.7v is too high for the chip -

put my prime just failed at 2 hours - so i added a little more volts from 1.450 + 110 special - to 1.475 +110 special and it failed in a few mintues -

now i left the volts at 1.475 + 110 special - put pushed up the ldt to 1.3v from 1.2v -- i belieave or from 1.3v to 1.4 not sure now - smart is telling me its 1.37v --

do you know what the LDT Bus does anyway - and does that affect the testing for better or worse ?

i never knew what that did and left it as it is i belieave -

i just pushed it up one now and its running -

my previous attempt to get 2.8 stable also died at 2 hours - then i upped the volts to 1.550 and ran 8 hours solid last night - now cpuz tells me its 1.584 v --

if it works stable at 280 with out a divider - why bother

unless you want to go more - right now i am not using the divider to see how far i can go with out one - my ram is at 260 now x11 - it passed prime at 255 x11 to give me 2.8

now its at 2.86 - testing - if it passed the two hour mark

i have a good feeling about it going the full 8 hours

i make a mistake a few post up - the chip volts are 1.7

i kept saying 2.7 and confused a few - sorry for that

i was wondering if 1.7v is too high for the chip -

put my prime just failed at 2 hours - so i added a little more volts from 1.450 + 110 special - to 1.475 +110 special and it failed in a few mintues -

now i left the volts at 1.475 + 110 special - put pushed up the ldt to 1.3v from 1.2v -- i belieave or from 1.3v to 1.4 not sure now - smart is telling me its 1.37v --

do you know what the LDT Bus does anyway - and does that affect the testing for better or worse ?

i never knew what that did and left it as it is i belieave -

i just pushed it up one now and its running -

my previous attempt to get 2.8 stable also died at 2 hours - then i upped the volts to 1.550 and ran 8 hours solid last night - now cpuz tells me its 1.584 v --

Holy cow 1.7v?! That's a lot of volts to be putting through your chip... but if your temps are fine, who am I to say anything :rolleyes:

Do me a favor... since I don't know what speed you are now running it at, open up CPUz and tell me what it reads under HT Link. Then we can help you a bit more.

EDIT: Oops, I see you're running 1.6v. Guess that's fine as long as your temps are in check ;)

And, I have a 165, which has that damn low multiplier of 9 (I shoulda bought a 170). I'm at 280MHz, which equates to 2.52GHz.. tried to get to 2.8GHz with the 180 divider to keep the memory at 280, but no dice. Makes me wonder why I can't do it... other than a weak memory controller.