137 GB Limit w/ XP PRO SP2

bearskin

WOW! Things have really changed around here while I was out of town. Looks like a lot of new fun! On to biz.

I have never run into this with any XP system running SP2. I just installed a new Maxtor 500 GB SATA 300 hdd and XP only sees 137 GB as if SP2 were not installed. And yes ... I already tried re-installing SP2.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks

Guest Lavell

There is a registry hack to fix this. Before you perform this, make sure you back up the registry just in case something goes wrong. After you perform the backup, follow these steps:

1) From the taskbar, click "Start". Then click "Run". In the open box, type "regedit" and click "Ok".

2) Navigate to the following key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesAtapiParameters]

3) Right-click the "Parameters" key. A menu will pop up. Click "New". Another menu will pop up. Click "DWORD Value".

4) Type EnableBigLba in the right-hand side of the window. Type this just as you see it (without the bold type). Hit Enter.

5) Double-click on the new DWORD and type the number 1 in the value data box (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled).

6) Exit the registry and reboot the computer. Now you should see all 500GB of your hard drive.

Guest Lavell

What small box?

I've enclosed a snapshot of what the registry should look like after the hack.

Lavell, The box I referred to is the one that opens when click on "DWORD VALUE".

As to your screenshot... mine looks EXACTLY like yours clearly displaying the value of 1.

C drive in My Comp still shows only 127 GB?

Any more suggestions... PLEASE!!!

Guest Lavell

That tells me that the registry hack did work. But because this is the only drive in the system, you will have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. Before you do, go back to the Maxtor website and download MaxBlast 4. This utility will format your hard drive before installing Windows XP. Choose which format of MaxBlast 4 you want.

Floppy: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Bootable CD ISO Image file: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Use this utility to format your hard drive. Don't use the Windows XP CD. Backup your data before you do this.

Guest Lavell

Provided that the instructions in the utility are followed, MaxBlast 4 will properly format your hard drive so when Windows XP is installed, it will see all of 500GB of the hard drive. The format utility on the Windows XP CD will rob a little bit of space of your hard drive while MaxBlast will give you all of it. Which brings me to a question. Does your Windows XP CD comes with Service Pack 2 or do you install SP2 like a patch?