Odd Internet Behaviour. Calling All Net Savs..

Yukon Trooper

So I have been having some strange internet behavior and I'm not quite sure what it is. My internet works fine for browsing, msn etc. but I am having issues when running Steam.

I'll be browsing along just fine but when I decide I want to play some DOD:S which requires me to open Steam and that is where the problems really start to take place. When I refresh my servers under the servers tab everything is fine and dandy but when I add them to my favorites list and try to refresh them under my favorites then all it shows are the IP's of the servers instead of the names and it can't find them! However, refreshing them under the normal server tab works fine.

Also, when I try to browse after I have refreshed servers in Steam then I cannot browse the internet anymore and my MSN gets disconnected. At the same time however I can still refresh servers inside of Steam! It's like when I am pinging servers my whole internet gets jammed. I can wait about 2 minutes and then my internet will function completely again but soon as I go to refresh servers in Steam it does it all over again.

Another interesting thing to note is that when I try to join a game it will open the join games tab and instead of connecting the ping will jump anywhere from 1000-2000 and won't connect. However if I keep pressing join game over and over then eventually it will connect. Once I am in the game everything is fine and I get no disconnects or any odd behavior.

I have recently nuke and paved my system and never had this problem before. My setup is exactly the same but I have followed Angry_Games clean boot install video and thats about the only thing I can think of that I did differently. What I am thinking it might be is one of the services I stopped while following the video in services.msc. Angry if your reading this that would be great if you could tell me whether or not it could be a stopped service.

My setup is a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router and I am connecting to it via a wireless PCI card. The firewall on the router is off as I have not taken the time to forward all ports required for all 4 computers in the house. I am using Zone Alarm as my firewall. Please remember that I had this exact setup before and everything was fine. Hope someone can help... cheers guys!

i think I have the same problem with XP-64 + Steam...as Steam has never quite worked right on this XP-64 rig.

I'll fool around with it and make a better post later, but wanted to add that I am pretty sure I'm having some oddness with Steam & 64-bit

Well I found the problem and it was simply my firewall. Turned it off and everything was fine. Everything checks out on my program control within the firewall so thats not the issue. I believe it has something to do with Zone Alarm's new Vektor Monitor which is called vsmon.exe in your task scheduler. I am going to try and find a workaround for this or I'll just simply have to stop being lazy and enable my NAT and then port forward all required fields. I am also going to try the last version of Zone Alarm because when I was using it I did not have this problem.

Anyways, for anyone who uses Steam and the new Zone Alarm be aware that Zone Alarm will jam your internet when using Steam. However at the same time Steam will continue to work although with certain issues. If anyone knows about this and has found a workaround please let me know.