Sign in to follow this  
Guest tytlyf_merged

Got a 170 on the way, let the OC'n begin

i am using a x2 4200 with the stock bios - 6/23 and it worked fine with my ultra D board - i am able to get my max OC at 2.75 with 1.5 V -- right now my board is holding me back i think - its the hottest part - and my psu maybe not sure -

you should be fine with the dual core - just install the dual core optimizer from AMD site - about the hotfix - i never installed it - and dont have any issues with that - but everyone is different --

i am priming now just to test my new psu i had to rma - and want to keep my volts as low as i can - so i got it at 2.6 with 1.35v -- to use all the time -- i was using it at 2.7 at 1.4v - but when doing nerovision etc. - full load

my board goes close to the 60c 62c -- i have a spot fan on it and it helped bring it down about 8c - not bad

but still hot -

would you know how high the temps on the pwmic board can go -- i know about keeping it under 50c -- but can the board handle 60c steady - if anyone knows for sure the facts - not just what everyone says about keeping it under 50c -- i cant find it anywhere in the manual or DFI site to find out the specs from them on what it can handle steady and max --

any ideas -

your going to love your dual core -

Guest tytlyf

I'm thinking off trying it over the weekend, and if it isn't hitting 2.8 its getting returned and refunded. I'm not going to try to have them send me another junk stepping.

What's funny is, I just ordered the same chip from Zipzoomfly and it should be here Monday or Tuesday. they have a 30 day return policy, which is better than neweggs 7 day.

Either way, I'm gonna find the best one, and push it. Anything I need to know about overclocking a dual core? I've been out of the OC world for a year after this last chip, and I've never OC'd a Dual. I'm assuming it's just drop in, open bios, and start clocking. Then something about running stability on each core individually?

Thanks for the link for OC'n, but I went through that a year ago and mastered this 148 I currently have. Was able to pull a 3.17ghz run on air superpi 1M.

I'm thinking off trying it over the weekend, and if it isn't hitting 2.8 its getting returned and refunded. I'm not going to try to have them send me another junk stepping.

What's funny is, I just ordered the same chip from Zipzoomfly and it should be here Monday or Tuesday. they have a 30 day return policy, which is better than neweggs 7 day.

Either way, I'm gonna find the best one, and push it. Anything I need to know about overclocking a dual core? I've been out of the OC world for a year after this last chip, and I've never OC'd a Dual. I'm assuming it's just drop in, open bios, and start clocking. Then something about running stability on each core individually?

Thanks for the link for OC'n, but I went through that a year ago and mastered this 148 I currently have. Was able to pull a 3.17ghz run on air superpi 1M.

Pretty much just drop it in and start overclocking.

Run Orthos for at least 8 hours, or however many hours you feel safe at running it with.

Orthos is for dual-cores, so just fire it up and go.

Iif it isn't hitting 2.8 its getting returned and refunded.

Now this is the DISHONESTY that we were talking about earlier. If it doesn't OC the way you want it to, but it does the stock speeds just fine KEEP IT. Sell it on ebay or the FS/FT section, but DO NOT RETURN IT.

If you want a guaranteed 2.8, then buy an x2 5600.

Buying cpus to OC is a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't and if you don't, it doesn't give you the right to return the chip because it doesn't OC as well as you want it to. It does the stock speeds right? Then you got what you paid for.

RETURNING CPUS THAT DON'T OC AS WELL AS YOU WANT IS DISHONEST AND UNETHICAL

Guest tytlyf

I dont think that's the case, newegg accepts returns for whatever reason within 7 days. Doesn't have to be a problem with the chip. Same thing like Best Buy or Circuit City. They are a business with a return policy. Seems fair to me.

If a store has a policy like this, of course they have to accept that people return CPUs for the kind of reasons.

It's not unethical. unethical is to not be happy with the OC, break a pin on purpose, and then say it arrived like that to save the $15 restocking fee.

I don't think anyone suffers from this, except the guy who sends his CPU back. The store gets $15 more income, and whoever buys the opened processor gets a cheaper prosessor than the unopened ones.

BUT! If you MUST have a good stepping, ebay is the right place for you, not newegg.

well you cant expect a certain OC or else -- i am stable at 2.75 and only stable for 30mins at 2.8 - i didnt try to push it with higher volts since i was at 1.5v already - there isnt much difference and not worth it just to get 50mhz more -

i guess if you can send it back - i wouldnt want to go thru all that trouble if it didnt hit a certain speed - and the cpu may not even be the problem - it could be other parts of your system -- everyone is different - but on the plus side - i am sure you can get 2.8 since alot of those processors reach that and more -

and about ebay - how would you know what you get from ebay - thats worse than buying from a big store with a real return policy - i received a broken camera once and he didnt want to replace - was told to contact manufacture - yeah right - i shipped it right back and cancelled the charge on my card - -

well you cant expect a certain OC or else -- i am stable at 2.75 and only stable for 30mins at 2.8 - i didnt try to push it with higher volts since i was at 1.5v already - there isnt much difference and not worth it just to get 50mhz more -

i guess if you can send it back - i wouldnt want to go thru all that trouble if it didnt hit a certain speed - and the cpu may not even be the problem - it could be other parts of your system -- everyone is different - but on the plus side - i am sure you can get 2.8 since alot of those processors reach that and more -

and about ebay - how would you know what you get from ebay - thats worse than buying from a big store with a real return policy - i received a broken camera once and he didnt want to replace - was told to contact manufacture - yeah right - i shipped it right back and cancelled the charge on my card - -

If he got his 148 to 3GHz, then he should have a good system. The only thing that I would think that would heavily affect the system stability would be the RAM.. since the 148 has a multi of 10, and so does the 170, his system should be capable of getting to 3G with a little time, effort, and patience.

Sellers on eBay oftentimes list the stepping they're selling. Check it out. If you do buy from eBay, check that the guy offers replacement for DOA/broken things. Buy insurance.

Guest tytlyf

My system is plenty fine, the only thing that will be holding me back is the cpu. I was running superpi 1M's @ 3.175 1:1 with my memory. Not worried about it. low 26s 1M run.

My system is plenty fine, the only thing that will be holding me back is the cpu. I was running superpi 1M's @ 3.175 1:1 with my memory. Not worried about it. low 23s 1M run.

Were you using that to test for stability or for just to see how quickly it could run?

Is it being shipped from Cali? Cause I got mine in January and got this ccbbe stepping. Been running it at 2.9 for a while now but I'm priming it right now trying to get it stable with lower volts. I'm hoping to try and hit 3 ghz. But either way you will be happy with the switch to dual core.

I got mine from new jersey on the east coast so i doubt the area its shipped from means anything

Now this is the DISHONESTY that we were talking about earlier. If it doesn't OC the way you want it to, but it does the stock speeds just fine KEEP IT. Sell it on ebay or the FS/FT section, but DO NOT RETURN IT.

If you want a guaranteed 2.8, then buy an x2 5600.

Buying cpus to OC is a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't and if you don't, it doesn't give you the right to return the chip because it doesn't OC as well as you want it to. It does the stock speeds right? Then you got what you paid for.

RETURNING CPUS THAT DON'T OC AS WELL AS YOU WANT IS DISHONEST AND UNETHICAL

While i agree with you, its his choice and he can do what he wants, thats what the %15 restocking fee is for to pay for things like this. Most of the time tho newegg wont charge you anything and just ship you another one and even pay for the shipping back and forth which is adding to the fire of him returning it for a "not wanted stepping".

If you got that stepping most likely buddy the CCBBE's are gone and thats all they have left so returning it is pointless to be honest cuss i bet you'll get the same thing.