Sign in to follow this  
Guest tytlyf_merged

Got a 170 on the way, let the OC'n begin

Guest tytlyf

Hi all, been a while..

Just ordered an Opty 170 to replace the 'ol 148. Will be keeping the GSkill for the meantime. Bout to OC the hell out of this 170 on air once it arrives. Been running 2.9 all year and it's time to move dual-core :rolleyes: .

I should have the chip Thurs or Friday from newegg. Prepare for overclocking adventures. I'm gonna break some dual core records on air :P

Is it being shipped from Cali? Cause I got mine in January and got this ccbbe stepping. Been running it at 2.9 for a while now but I'm priming it right now trying to get it stable with lower volts. I'm hoping to try and hit 3 ghz. But either way you will be happy with the switch to dual core.

I've seen several LCB9E's coming out of Cali as of late.

Seen LCB9E 0636, 0646, and 0652.... the 0636 and the 0646 being 165's, and the 0652 being the 170.

Of course, like Raider said, you might get a CCBBE 0615/0610 if you're really lucky. Or a 0617; who knows. It's like the damn lottery.

Guest tytlyf

It shipped today, might get tomorrow or friday. I'm getting nervous about the stepping. I wonder what Newegg's return policy is?

It shipped today, might get tomorrow or friday. I'm getting nervous about the stepping. I wonder what Newegg's return policy is?

Return as in "you don't want it" return"? Or RMA?

Returning requires a 15% restocking fee... RMAing costs no fee except for you shipping it back to them. But it's bad karma in my book to return something that works at its rated speed and voltages... you get what you pay for. If it overclocks like crap, and return it on the basis of that, it doesn't shine too well in my eyes. Which is why I sold my 0551VPMW to a friend of mine instead of taking the cheap way out: RMAing it. Plus, doesn't RMAing it jack up the price? I can't remember.

It's all up to you though. I'm not here to bash you if you do decide to RMA :) I don't blame you... sometimes you get pissed off beyond all reasoning. Just like my chip... it can run in tandem with my memory at 280MHz but when I set it on a divider to maintain that 280Mhz it just craps out on me.

Returning it because your not happy with the stepping would be kinda dishonest...cause there isn't anything wrong with the cpu. But odds are you will get a newer CCBBE or one of the LCB9E's. Even if you can only get 2.7 out of your chip it will still pwn the single core at 2.9/3.0.

Exchanging or returning that processor because he didn't get the stepping he wanted isn't dishonest. He has every right to return the processor if he wants to, provided that he doesn't open the box or try to install it.

NOW, If he installed it & it didn't OC as well as he wanted it to so he returned it - That would be dishonest.

If he returns it because he didn't get the stepping he wanted, so be it. It is not dishonest. It is only going to cost him more money - him and nobody else. If he is ok with the additional cost & understands the he may get another stepping that he doesn't like, well that is his choice.

Neweggs CPU return policy.

Adding on the what PhoetuS said, with Newegg, you can ask them to waive re-stock fees if you first order a new cpu.

Call them up and ask for RMA approval then tell them your new order number for the new cpu( obviously place this order before you call) and they will waive re-stock fees.

Thing is you don't have much time to arrange this so be prompt if you are dead set on trying to get a good stepping. It may be easier to look on ebay for folks advertising steppings.

I do agree that so long as you don't open the seal on your cpu then you have every right to ask for RMA on it without breaking any "conscience" rules.

Guest tytlyf

Just got the chip: Heres the stepping...

LCB9E 0652 WPMW

Opinions on this stepping?

I'm thinkin of returning it.

Guest tytlyf

well, i was hoping for a CCBBE stepping, but I hear this isn't that bad of a stepping. I was going to try to find a Local store like Frys, or compusa. But everyone is out of these. I think if I ship it back and have them send me another, it might be worse than this one.

I haven't OC'd a dual core before, anything I need to know initially? I've been out of the loop for a while. I wonder if the modded bios 623-3 will work fine with it?

well, i was hoping for a CCBBE stepping, but I hear this isn't that bad of a stepping. I was going to try to find a Local store like Frys, or compusa. But everyone is out of these. I think if I ship it back and have them send me another, it might be worse than this one.

I haven't OC'd a dual core before, anything I need to know initially? I've been out of the loop for a while. I wonder if the modded bios 623-3 will work fine with it?

I got my stepping from Fry's... probably gonna head back to them in April for a 170 before all stocks dry up.

I haven't seen very many CCBWE 170's, so I think sending it back won't be a horrible choice... but then again, it doesn't hurt to try overclocking the LCB9E. Who knows, maybe you got a gem.

Here is a guide written by a good member of this forum. It is very helpful, and can serve as a guide: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

The BIOS should work.