965 or 975 for E6600 ?

White_Hair

Hey guys:

I have read some of the threads in tihs section. Still couldn't make up my mind on my board selection. I am currently looking at Gigabyte DS3 or DQ6. (I returned my Asus striker because it's full with problems)

I have a chance of getting a X6800 or QX6700 for around 500 USD through my special connection. (Which one should I pick? )

I don't know if I should go for 975 or 965 based board, because I heard for E6600 or above, I should go for 975 instead of 965.

I am looking for a board with 6 Sata ports, no SLI.

And also, DS3 or DQ6? (if money difference is not an issue)

Million Thanks :)

Me personally, quad core over dual. Think of F@H,encoding movies etc etc etc. And the DQ6 if you gots the cash. I own one atm, and my 6300 is at 3050MHZ up from 1860. And this is with very very little tuning lol. I am going to fine tune my system one of these days.

** Also try to get the Rev 3.3 MOBO, it supports the upcoming 1333MHZ chips.

-yonton228/timmy

Yup it supports quad cores. And just so you know a quad core will more than likely not OC higher than a X6800.....but with 4 cores who cares right lol.

Edit:

** Also try to get the Rev 3.3 MOBO, it supports the upcoming 1333MHZ chips.

Dude you don't have to worry about what revision you get. A simple bios update and the rev. 1.0/2.0 boards will also support the 1333mhz cpus. You already said this twice now and it is unimportant.

Yeah. 4 cores. It's more future proof. I am happy with just a little oc. Can't use my computer without ocing it. ;)

Hell you'll probably still get 3.2 ghz easily...maybe even 3.3-3.4 ghz. I want to get a Q6600 but not until they're about $500 supposedly later this year.

Dude you don't have to worry about what revision you get. A simple bios update and the rev. 1.0/2.0 boards will also support the 1333mhz cpus. You already said this twice now and it is unimportant.

How is this unimportant? Please read the following interview before you make such a comment. I make sure when I say something, I damn well have the facts to back up my comments, this is not a personal attack however I do know I am correct on this matter. However I wish they would make a BIOS for the Rev 2 boards that supports the 1333 FSB nativly.

To maintain the lead, what are the upcoming models we can expect from Gigabyte?

We are introducing all-solid cap design down to 945 platforms and we are releasing a new series of P965 rev 3.3 boards with native FSB 1333 support.

The entire 965 line for native 1333FSB support?

Only on P965 boards. Not on G965 due to chipset limitations.

What did you do to get native 1333FSB support on your 965P revision 3.3 boards?

So far only 975X can support 1333FSB. We tried unlocking 1333FSB through BIOS but the end results are not ideal. Therefore, we re-routed the circuitry and added more components. However, 965 still lacks 975x of the dual graphics 2 x PCIe x8 bandwidth.

INTERVIEW HERE

-yonton228/timmy

Thanks Raider. That's helpful. Appreicated :)