super high vcore on x2 3800 (am2)

okay, so my question is, can i raise the voltage on the memory controller(ht right?) to help compensate a little, or is that dangerous? if i could, then that leaves me with two options, which one do you think would yield better gaming performance?

1)getting rid of 2 of the sticks and starting over with overclocking.

2)leaving in all 4, raising the memory controller voltage (or not) and o/cing to whatever i can @ 1.5v.

sorry for all the noob questions, i really shoulda gone 2x1gb

You cannot adjust the memory controller voltage separately, the mem controller is part of the CPU. The Vcore is the only setting that controls the voltage sent to the CPU.

The Hyper Transport (HT) is the bus that connects the CPU to the RAM.

one more thing... is it possible that the memory controller is eating up all the voltage given to the processor and that the processor is actually using up a lower voltage than it normally would with 2 sticks? could it be possible that raising the vcore on the cpu to higher than normal levels with 4 sticks be safer than with 2 sticks.

like i said even at 1.65v under full load (both cores) i was only seeing 41c max, or will the ht be under too much stress?

No, the above explaination also applies here as well.

41c seems way too low for 1.65v. Maybe you have a magically cool chip but...

I have a really hard time accepting those temps & wonder if they are inaccurate.

Again, what does Coretemp report?

You cannot adjust the memory controller voltage separately, the mem controller is part of the CPU. The Vcore is the only setting that controls the voltage sent to the CPU.

The Hyper Transport (HT) is the bus that connects the CPU to the RAM.

No, the above explaination also applies here as well.

41c seems way too low for 1.65v. Maybe you have a magically cool chip but...

I have a really hard time accepting those temps & wonder if they are inaccurate.

Again, what does Coretemp report?

Errrr... not exactly.

Remember on the Athlon64 platform, half your Vdimm (Vtt) is also entering the CPUs memory controller.

That's why people were burning out CPUs trying to run BH5@ 3.5 to 4 volts on the socket 939 boards, without raising the Vcore.

hey, sorry for the late reply. right now my temps are slightly higher than normal because the computer's been on forever and it's hot in my room but ite guardian is seeing 19c at idle and coretemp is seeing 33c w/ no o/c. i haven't reverted back to trying 1.65v because of what 'yall told me, but i could try again with coretemp and let you know...it doesn't seem to have damaged anything yet.

what i meant by raising the memory controller voltage was raising the ht link voltage from 1.2 to 1.35.. haven't tried it yet.

what is bh5?

okay i'm back at 2.6ghz @ 1.65v i bumped the ht link to 1.35 and that's it. ddr2 is at 520mhz. i hear that 800-1000 is what's good for the ht-link so i put my multi at 3x which gives me 780mhz as opposed to 1040.

my idle temps are (coretemp and ite guardian, respectively)

core0 - 39c

core1 - 42c

ite - 26c

my full load (two instances of prime) temps are

core0 - 59c

core1 - 62c

ite - 42c

what do yall think?

Those core temps are pretty high. I have to give my 4200 windsor 1.6v to get it to be stable at 2.7mhz. But my temps in core temp are 42-43c at full load. Idle is about 24c. The scythe infinity is awsome plus I have 2-120mm fans push-pulling and 4 other fans in my case. Also a 200mm fan on the top.

aren't the x2's rated for up to 70c? how safe is unsafe with core temps?

p.s. i just read that amd rates it's max temp w/ tcase, which checks temps on the heatsink between the cores, which is what the motherboard/most temp utilities read. this being the case, and that my processor is rated from 55c-70c, that max temps would be slightly higher in core temp?

Guest toast

My Opteron 1212 runs at 2.97Ghz daily with only 1.4v. Most X2 3800s usually can't get past 2.8Ghz.