Sign in to follow this  
miamisc2

super high vcore on x2 3800 (am2)

first of all, hi, love the forum so far. this is my first computer build and my first dive into cpu overclocking (although i've messed around a lot on my laptop's ram timings/o/c). i've read the stickies and what not.

basically i follow the guide and i seem to need a ton of cpu voltage to get anything worthwhile. at 2.5ghz i'm needing 1.55v. at 2.6ghz, i'm needing 1.65v. it's really weird because my cpu seems to run pretty cool even at those voltages. i'm seeing about 24c at idle/36c under load at 1.55 and 28c idle and 41c under load at 1.65v.

(ps i'm seeing 58-59c for my chipset and 33-34c for my system) do you think raising the voltage on my chipset would help if i were able to bring the temps down? (i will install the vc-re cooler in a couple days w/ as5)

my main question is, do you think that 1.65v is safe? what about more vcore if i see a worthwhile improvement and my temps are still low (i want a max of 50c under full load)

thanks a lot.

i've heard that having 4x512 may limit overclocking but i don't see why i would have to keep bumping up the voltage so much.

thanks, that's what i kept guessing as i whenever i based the ram above ddr400 in the bios with ocing on the cpu, it would lock up...yet without ocing the processor, it would hit over ddr800 on stock voltage, no problems.

my only settings are 1.2 and 1.35... so would 1.35 be alright w/ my cooling?

edited

my main question is, do you think that 1.65v is safe?

No, not at all. Especially not on air.

I think that your problem lies in your memory timings or in the fact that you are using 4 dimms or both.

On air I wouldn't run more then 1.5v for daily use & on water I wouldn't run more then 1.6v for daily use.

*edit

what does coretemp report your temps as?

Yes phase is a kind of cooling: Phase change

The reason you have to keep bumping the volts is because 4 dimms puts considerable strain on your mem controller, therefore more volts to get it stable.

okay, so my question is, can i raise the voltage on the memory controller(ht right?) to help compensate a little, or is that dangerous? if i could, then that leaves me with two options, which one do you think would yield better gaming performance?

1)getting rid of 2 of the sticks and starting over with overclocking.

2)leaving in all 4, raising the memory controller voltage (or not) and o/cing to whatever i can @ 1.5v.

sorry for all the noob questions, i really shoulda gone 2x1gb

i need to apply 1.66 to get to 2.6 no matter what memory i use or timming

AMD Athlon™X2 64 3800+ water cooled (260x10)1.66 vcore

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Expert

Crucial Ballistic PC4000 2x1GB 2GB (288 3-4-4-4-11 1T)2.8 vdim

His X1900XT 256MB

1 WD 160g

1 Maxtor 160g

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

OCZ Powerstrim 520wt

I also have a 3800+ x2 am2 chip that responds similarly. Is yours the 65 watt version? my chip takes 1.5volts for 2.5ghz. 2.6ghz needs atleast 1.575 volts and it runs faar to hot. Use core temp to get correct readings.

i need to apply 1.66 to get to 2.6 no matter what memory i use or timming

AMD Athlon™X2 64 3800+ water cooled (260x10)1.66 vcore

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Expert

Crucial Ballistic PC4000 2x1GB 2GB (288 3-4-4-4-11 1T)2.8 vdim

His X1900XT 256MB

1 WD 160g

1 Maxtor 160g

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

OCZ Powerstrim 520wt

Some processors just don't overclock that great. I have an Opty 148 that I never got stable above 2.8ghz no matter how many volts I threw at it ~1.6

My 3800 X2 AM2 (90W) got to 2.7 @ 1.56v on my infinity cooler with idle/load temps of 33C/49C.

I might even be able to push it higher when I get better ram and I switch to water cooling. I think I got lucky with my chip, it is a champ. I bet that once my upgrades are complete I may be able to push it to 3Ggz @ ~1.65v. But that would take major tweaking to get it right and it would definitely NOT be a 24/7 setting, just for a nice OCDB entry and entrace to the GGG club. We shall see. :tooth:

one more thing... is it possible that the memory controller is eating up all the voltage given to the processor and that the processor is actually using up a lower voltage than it normally would with 2 sticks? could it be possible that raising the vcore on the cpu to higher than normal levels with 4 sticks be safer than with 2 sticks.

like i said even at 1.65v under full load (both cores) i was only seeing 41c max, or will the ht be under too much stress?

one more thing... is it possible that the memory controller is eating up all the voltage given to the processor and that the processor is actually using up a lower voltage than it normally would with 2 sticks? could it be possible that raising the vcore on the cpu to higher than normal levels with 4 sticks be safer than with 2 sticks.

like i said even at 1.65v under full load (both cores) i was only seeing 41c max, or will the ht be under too much stress?

You can have -30c temps and too much voltage is still dangerous. And, no, having 4 sticks doesn't mean you should raise your voltage more.