Sign in to follow this  
justin131

Which is the Better OCer?

Im looking to upgrade my 3800 X2 when I switch to WC and I am torn as to what direction to take...

Which will OC better (in you opinion) on my DFI NF590 board?

A better X2? (maybe like a 4800 or a 5200)

Or an Opty? (maybe a 1212 or a 1214)

Whats your guys' opinions?

opteron all the way. specially opteron 165

He's taking AM2...

I would take an Opteron 1210 or 1212, but as bleach said quite a few of the X2 3600's have been getting to 3GHz. Probably a slightly useless point, but the Opteron has 100% more L2 cache in it..

But pricewise the X2 wins lol

Edit: edited cache size of X2 3600

He's taking AM2...

I would take an Opteron 1210 or 1212, but as bleach said quite a few of the X2 3600's have been getting to 3GHz. Probably a slightly useless point, but the Opteron has 300% more L2 cache in it..

But pricewise the X2 wins lol

First off, you mean 4800 X2 right? The 4800 X2 Brisbane 65W and the Opty 1212 are about equal in price, even thought the X2 starts 500Mhz higher. And the Brisbane has 2x512kb while the Opty 1212 has 2x1mb... thats 200%, not 300%.

My current 3800 X2 is stock at 2Ghz and I got it to about 2.7Ghz (Might go higher) with my infinity. My worry is that the Opty 1212 also starts at 2Ghz. My goal is 3Ghz.

So should I get the 4800 X2 Brisbane 65W or the Opty 1212? (anything better is out of my price range)

Thanks.

First off, you mean 4800 X2 right? The 4800 X2 Brisbane 65W and the Opty 1212 are about equal in price, even thought the X2 starts 500Mhz higher. And the Brisbane has 2x512kb while the Opty 1212 has 2x1mb... thats 200%, not 300%.

My current 3800 X2 is stock at 2Ghz and I got it to about 2.7Ghz (Might go higher) with my infinity. My worry is that the Opty 1212 also starts at 2Ghz. My goal is 3Ghz.

So should I get the 4800 X2 Brisbane 65W or the Opty 1212? (anything better is out of my price range)

Thanks.

No, I am referring to the X2 3600. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103036) But, seeing as you're in Manitoba, it makes no difference...

It has 1MB of cache, my last post was incorrect... sorry about that.

I would still hit up an Opteron.

No, I am referring to the X2 3600. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103036) But, seeing as you're in Manitoba, it makes no difference...

It has 1MB of cache, my last post was incorrect... sorry about that.

I would still hit up an Opteron.

The 3600 X2 Brisbane can hit 3Ghz?!!?! Is 65nm really that much better? My 3800 X2 Windsor would be hardpressed to get to 3Ghz.

Oh well, I am leaning towards the 1212. How high do you think it could go on water?

The 3600 X2 Brisbane can hit 3Ghz?!!?! Is 65nm really that much better? My 3800 X2 Windsor would be hardpressed to get to 3Ghz.

Oh well, I am leaning towards the 1212. How high do you think it could go on water?

I've seen some 1210 and 1212 users here, and one of them (I think it was the 1212) hit 2.95GHz near stock or something like that.

If it's built using 90nm technology and is a relatively decent chip, I would say chances of it hitting 3GHz are pretty good. But don't count on anything... remember, it's only rated to run at its stock speed (and voltage). Everything above it is not guaranteed.

Guest toast

Look at me :D

Didn't need a voltage boost until I went past 2.9Ghz.

How high do you think it could go on water?

Definitely past 3Ghz, as I can do already (requires at least 1.45v...but I could be wrong, I haven't really tested that realm)

On the side...Justin, how much does the second fan help on your Scythe Infinity? Are you running it like push/pull? (Each on opposite sides, one pushing and the other pulling)

Look at me :D

Didn't need a voltage boost until I went past 2.9Ghz.

Definitely past 3Ghz, as I can do already (requires at least 1.45v...but I could be wrong, I haven't really tested that realm)

On the side...Justin, how much does the second fan help on your Scythe Infinity? Are you running it like push/pull? (Each on opposite sides, one pushing and the other pulling)

Awesome, my mind is made up.

And I haven't actually ran my infinity with only one fan lol. It has an antec tri-cool (79CFM!!) pushing in and the stock fan (46CFM I think) blowing out. Cools freakishly well... no matter how fast I run it or how high I put the volts, it will not go above 45C. I ran it at [email protected] and with orthos running it was ~44C. To bad it only lasted 3 mins. :rolleyes:

Guest toast

Do you know how much the other fan vs. stock fan did better? I'm curious how much a higher CFM fan would help. I want to get slightly better cooling when I push this thing to 3.1Ghz and possibly beyond. I'll probably push this to 3.2Ghz some day, I know it's been done.

for the money the x2 3600 will be a better choice. Opty will probably performe a little better after ocd. really up to you on how much you want to spend. id probably just go with the x2 3600