Best Laptop around $1000

soundx98

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be tempted to consider this Dell

I bought a nice Dell Inspiron Turion for my wife and like it. I see they have some for well under $1000.

Personally I buy Sager but always do the big gun so go over $2000 "yikes". I would love to get a new one but my old Sager is so good I can't justify it.

Carl I got your PM but I figured that I might as well post this here.

I bought my laptop with the following specs for $1,137 shipped... it's a Dell E1505

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON X1400 HyperMemory™

1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm

15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™

60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

All I can tell you is DAMN, this thing is nice. I've never been more happy with an electronics purchase.

It also gets around 4.5 hours of battery life while surfing the web.

Oh yeah, and it gets 1,400 PPD while folding ;)

C2D has a cost premium over CD. In desktop it is a no brain upgrade, but I have read that the notebook version does not have such dramatic improvement. Just read it somewhere .... Don't know if this is accurate.

On the other hand, I would go for C2D also. David has a nice machine there.

C2D has a cost premium over CD. In desktop it is a no brain upgrade, but I have read that the notebook version does not have such dramatic improvement. Just read it somewhere .... Don't know if this is accurate.
While I agree for the most part, Core Duos are not 64-bit capable which makes the extra cost worth it IMO

I'm with you guys of the Dell 1505 but jeez you always have to find the coupon that works. But, if Cliff and ud218 are singing the praises I'll look again.

But the HP with C2D, 2G RAM, 160G SATA, modem/LAN/WLAN at $1200 has my eye too.

I'll keep you all advised. And yes I got the job!

A little less proc speed but more RAM and HDD space may be the trade-off I am looking for.

But this is much tougher than I thought.

Wish there was a savings when order with XP instead of Vista but it's not even an option.

You really NEED at least 2G with Vista

...But this is much tougher than I thought...

I actually find the process totally paralyzing. Which in the end saves me money because I can not pull the pin.

Edit: Actually I went to the Dell site and dropped the Processor, upped the ram and HD and got $1200. You still get better video card and screen.

Bad news is you do pay tax in MN.

Just pick the one that best suits you...what are you going to be using it for...

you can always pick the one with the best CPU and throw more ram in it later...that maybe a cheaper alternative...;) I probably go Dell, Acer then HP unless I got a sweet deal...

throw the Model numbers in pricegrabber.com and see what you find...;)