Sign in to follow this  
Fenix-Dark

Case audio ports

Many pc cases these day come equip with an analogue audio and microphone port on the front for convenience. They also happen to use a 9 pin 2x5 header that only seems to have its male companion on motherboards. What about those of us that have a dedicated sound card and want to use those front audio ports?

If you happen to be lucky enough to have an audigy2 zs or newer Creative Labs sound card, there is a solution. http://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.com/ There is an internal 10 pin connector that can be rigged up to that front audio port header.

Both of my computers have an audigy2 zs sound card and the front audio ports, so I'm going to follow that guide and make two of those cables.

I am very lazy and would gladly purchase pre-made cables if they exist. Do any of you happen to know if such cables are out there? And have you guys done this or rigged them up in another fashion?

The thought of being able to plug in my headset to the front audio ports on my case while not having to unplug my speakers in the back of my pc for when I'm in the mood for some cs:s makes me feel all warm 'n fuzzy.

I'm open to tips and suggestions

--Fenix

Many pc cases these day come equip with an analogue audio and microphone port on the front for convenience. They also happen to use a 9 pin 2x5 header that only seems to have its male companion on motherboards. What about those of us that have a dedicated sound card and want to use those front audio ports?

If you happen to be lucky enough to have an audigy2 zs or newer Creative Labs sound card, there is a solution. http://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.com/ There is an internal 10 pin connector that can be rigged up to that front audio port header.

Both of my computers have an audigy2 zs sound card and the front audio ports, so I'm going to follow that guide and make two of those cables.

I am very lazy and would gladly purchase pre-made cables if they exist. Do any of you happen to know if such cables are out there? And have you guys done this or rigged them up in another fashion?

The thought of being able to plug in my headset to the front audio ports on my case while not having to unplug my speakers in the back of my pc for when I'm in the mood for some cs:s makes me feel all warm 'n fuzzy.

I'm open to tips and suggestions

--Fenix

have you tried searching for the platinum front panel add-on? It's pretty neat, and would solve your problem. Looks snazy too.

One of my two pc cases has 0 free 5.25" bays, so the platinum front panel (aka live drive) is out of the question. The other case is silver, and the black box wouldn't look right. On top of that I'd rather not spend much money for something I shouldn't need to and I really don't think they're all that visually pleasing. Its a black box with an assortment of connectors strewn about, not my taste. I also don't like the placement of the live drive, my headphone cables would get in the way of the dvd drives, and that wouldn't be much fun.

Both cases have the front audio ports and I'd still like to use them. I just hate having crippled/disabled features, even if I won't use them (and I will be using the front audio ports).

Well, you could also get some aluminium and a couple of jack extender cables and make a little bus box out of it. It'd be about 2"x1"x1". Really thin stuff, bend it over a counter edge and smooth the lines by tapping with a rubber mallet. You could even drill holes and rivet it if you wanted to. Just an Idea, but I'm a metal guru myself, so i make lots of this kind of stuff.

Well, you could also get some aluminium and a couple of jack extender cables and make a little bus box out of it. It'd be about 2"x1"x1". Really thin stuff, bend it over a counter edge and smooth the lines by tapping with a rubber mallet. You could even drill holes and rivet it if you wanted to. Just an Idea, but I'm a metal guru myself, so i make lots of this kind of stuff.

Yea, I could do that if I only wanted to use the front audio ports, but I'd like to keep the rear ones too, and external cables going around pci cards are a mess.

Sign in to follow this