Would You Do It If Given The Chance

bigred

buy a mcdonalds instead, you'll make more $$. Plus they guarantee a profit.

It costs MILLIONS of dollars to franchise a McDonalds, not just 50K.

When it comes down to it, it sounds like a real good deal. You also have to be ready for the worst though, because if the store were doing poorly you would have to dish out the extra money to pay employees yourself completely out of pocket along with any bills that aren't covered. Things like setting up payroll for a high turnover job (anyhting at less then $10/hr) is a pain in a small business setting because 3rd party payroll is pricey. And if you can't support all the employees you have to work there yourself your normal job will suffer. As I still believe you are in you 20's a bankrupcy on a business would not be good on a credit report looking at the future (2nd home, vac. propeties).

That being said like any business venture it is a gamble, no two ways about it. If you never risk, you never lose, but you never win either. So go for it if you feel comfortable in your finances and life to make the money/time commitment. I am also guessing that sometime in the next few years you might be looking at having kids. You have a lot to risk right now with a new marrige good job and if the business works you could put kids through college and buy more overpriced computer stuff for yourself. If not, would you have the money to do the things you want, like vacations and even suport kids?

This is were I stop, and say 1 more thing. If you can't decide, flip a coin about it.(not that the actual result means anything, but that split second gut reaction as you first flip it is your best indicator)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hire me. I need a good tech position job. :D

No, honestly, it sounds like a great idea. Definately look into the demographic of the area too. IE - here in Ottawa we have a LOT of unemployed tech workers right now, so opening a business in the computer field is a good idea, however opening one in PC repair is not a good idea. That's definately an important part...

(Hire Me)

buy a mcdonalds instead, you'll make more $$. Plus they guarantee a profit.

hahahahahaha they've lost more $$$ in the last 3 years than any other company besides AOL

and I do know the market well. I was used to people telling me where they lived/worked and having them complain about how they wanted a computer store on thier side of town (8 cbw's local, all are making good $$$).

as far as the market around here, cbw is the largest of the small guys. To give you an idea on how that works, the madison heights store brings in the same amount of $$$ a day as a midsized compusa. cbw's whole catalog of instore parts can be found there (it'll give you a better idea of what market they're in).

Well it looks like they sell some decent product, no barton core AMD's though. All of the product seems pretty overpriced for even my local market. It's one of those shops I would only go to for small items like a mouse keyboard etc. Unless the prices are lower in store then I would not buy systems from them and only go if it saved me 30min or more. I do not know if prices are set company wide and is part of the franchising agreement. From the low profit margin on comp products you could buy from newegg and resell for the same price. (if not this post was kinda pointless) Also there franchising website is a little out of date

FREE Y2K testing. circled in black

Red here isnt targeting us as he knows we arent stupid enough to buy from his store. (well i hope he thinks that highly of us) Hoewever seeing how he is targeting the rich or just plain ignorant folks i think making money wont be a problem.

what are you talking about "no barton"? so what are all these?

and for your information, some of us have gotten burned one too many times with online buying, and still prefer the ability to see what we're dealing with, get some service on it ASAP if it is defective, and not have to WAIT 3 weeks for stuff to ship "next day"

FYI, I'm not going to make this move for now.

Edited by bigred

I apologize, I'm a tard. I went as far to click on AMD processor tab, then not socket A.

I feel like I stirred you up with my comment, I apologize if I came off as an arrogant @$$hole or something. As for my comment I understand the risks of online buying but also believe that those prices aren't competitive with online prices or even my local market enough to justify buying from that store in the cost/convienience area.

Like I said previouisly I have no idea about franchise pricing agreements and therefore went out on a limb commenting about that. Yes I do appriciate buying locally for many reasons including help and returns, but I am willing to risk it to save 20-25% on $1000 entire system.

I wish there were a CBW around cincinnati. The only decent computer store around is Microcenter, and they tend to be overpriced. But I'm a big fan of buying in store. I'm the sort of person that buys something just to compare it and then returns in, and I also like to see what I'm getting.