Sign in to follow this  
MattTim2004

4 red LED lights. Anyone want to help?

If this CMOS clear doesn't work, does that mean something on the mobo is messed up, or does it bring us back to the start?
Where you overclocking the CPU? Remove and reseat the CPU.

I have removed and reseated it. I was not overclocking the CPU. My battery is out, going to wait for another 5-10 minutes and see if I can hear the beep this time.

Well after going through the situation again, the best reason I can think of for this happening is that I shorted out the board somehow while screwing around with the hardware while installing windows.

Yes I know it was idiotic of me to do this, but I guess I was too excited to start up my cmputer again, to think of the consequences.

So, I was wondering if a short would explain some of the things that are happening, and if there is anything I can do to fix the board, or if I should go with a new one,

Also, if I shorted out the MB, could I have done the same with the CPU/Video Card? God I hope not.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

-Matt

How long was your longest CMOS clear?

Any time you work on your PC you need to take the following precautions.

1. Power off the PC.

2. Unplugged the power cord from the wall socket.

3. Press the start button to dump the stored electric in the capacitors.

Similar thing happened to me before. It ended up being the bios chip got fuxxored. I bought a pre-flashed one from Tmod and it booted right up.

What would you guys reccomend be my next step? Buy a new MB, maybe a new PSU? CPU?

I really have no idea what is the cause of my problems. My longest CMOS clear was 48 hours, and still nothing. All I have plugged in is the power, and one memory stick in the farthest orange slot, and the MB is out of the case.

Thanks again,

Matt

Just try to do the minimal run...

I just went thru this recently where I pulled a video card out of mine for another board to test...2 weeks later when I went to put it back it would hang at 2 lit LED's...

the more I messed with it the worse it got it seems...I pulled everything out even the CPU...

I went form a Opteron 148 to a 3200 venice...but by them dimm1 wouldnt detect ram at would beep at me.. then rebooting eventually dimm2 did the same thing and would hang at 3 lit LED's

I thought maybe I corrupted the bios because I was doing stuff so much I booted the board with the Cmos jumper in the clear position...?

anyhow... I had a sli-d that I borrowed parts from and everything I pulled from the sli-dr booted fine in the sli-d...even the bios chip...

that thing just went out on it's own and I dont know why...it had less than 4 hours run time on it...

Got tired of fooling with it after about a week so I sent it off for repair... got back another board and decided to do a minimal build...put 1 stick of ram in the Orange slot closet to the CPU and it would NOT boot... tried and tried and tried and it hung on 3 lit LED's and refused to boot...

so I figured what the heck...I put the other stick of ram in the other Orange slot and low and behold it booted...Albeit slow but it boots...It hangs for a second on 3 LED's then it does it's thing...

Picky board...;)

bad thing was the one I got back was dirty and dusty...you'd think atleast they would clean it before shipping...How can you do a good repair on a dirty board...?

I altleast cleaned the one I sent in...before I sent it...;)

Going to do some more testing later...I ran Memtest and no errors...and i know it's not the ram anyhow...;)

EDIT: listing all my DFI boards in my forsale thread....time to move on..;)

the four leds of death...

it hapens to me too when i flash the bios...

ask someone that have a mobo like that to do a hotflash and it will be ready to go again.

it works with me.