Sign in to follow this  
MattTim2004

4 red LED lights. Anyone want to help?

So I reinstalled windows..or was in the process of doing so when my computer completely shut down in the middle of the installation process. I tried rebooting with 1 stick of ram, with nothing on, etc.. etc..

Every time, the 4 red LED lights come on. From what i've read, this means my CPU Is bad? Is this the only option, and is there any way to check this without ruining my rig? Thanks.

-Matt

I have reseated everything with no difference. I have tried using DIMM2, and 1 + 4 (what they are in usually). My CPU is cooled through AS as well as the stock heatsink/cooler. It was cold to the touch when it died.

I'll try CMOS

Ok I have reset CMOS. Nothing has changed.

So knowing that 4 of the LED's are lit means there is something wrong with the connection to the motherboard or the motherboard itself right?

Is there any way to diagnose what exactly needs to be replaced?

Anyone want to help?
We all want to help. That is why we are here. :)

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System

Do a LONG CMOS clear.

Do you need the procedures?

Although if anything this is probably user error when I was installing the new HDD. I have to learn to be more gentle..I just hope I didn't break the Mobo somehow.

This is the link for long clear and follow it exactly.

Although if anything this is probably user error when I was installing the new HDD. I have to learn to be more gentle..I just hope I didn't break the Mobo somehow.
What do you mean? Why would you think you broke the motherboard buy installing a new HDD?

Remove power from the rig by pulling the plug or switching the PSU off.

Move the PC Speaker jumper to the ON position.

Remove the Battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.

Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard to drain the capacitors.

You may leave the board in this condition for as long as it takes to clear the CMOS. If a short 30 second clear or a 15 minute clear doesn't work, try an 8 hour clear then a 24 hour clear.

Plug in a PS2 Keyboard.

Put one stick of RAM in the top orange slot marked DIMM2.(may vary on Infinity boards)

Replace the Battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to Normal.

Press and hold the Insert Key on the Keyboard.

Apply power to the rig by plugging the power in or using the switch on the PSU.

Press the Start Button to power the rig up.

When you hear the BEEP, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key on the Keyboard.

I can get to here, but I hear no beep, even after holding it for 2 minutes. Is it pertinent information that I cannot power off the system with the power button on the case? I can only power on the system this way.

I'm going to try a much longer CMOS boot.

I was just saying that I was moving the boxes that hold the HDD around, so hopefully i didn't knock anything by accident.

If this CMOS clear doesn't work, does that mean something on the mobo is messed up, or does it bring us back to the start?

I can get to here, but I hear no beep, even after holding it for 2 minutes. Is it pertinent information that I cannot power off the system with the power button on the case? I can only power on the system this way.

I'm going to try a much longer CMOS boot.

Check the speaker jumper. Make sure it is in the correct position.