Your opinion: 1.5v for 2.7GHz or 1.43v for 2.6GHz

If 1-2 weeks pass w/o issues, i go 2725 ...oc'ing 2,87 took 6 months (from easy 2.805)

Just double checking but what do you use to check stability? Cause just using your computer normally for 1-2 weeks isn't a good way to test stability. You should be running Orthos for at least 8 hours to be sure your rig won't give to any problems.

Just double checking but what do you use to check stability? Cause just using your computer normally for 1-2 weeks isn't a good way to test stability. You should be running Orthos for at least 8 hours to be sure your rig won't give to any problems.

np, I did Prime95 Blend, closed case

re :

lol ... i AM gonna test 1-2 weeks

I have only seen TWO 175 my stepping over 2700MHz. 3000 and 2750, if you google, rest are @ 1.5 /2700.

Whtat is you observation?

My observation is that CCBWE's don't clock very well regardless of model (165,170,175). Unless you are extremely lucky, these chips won't do 2.8+ easily.

Here is a good thread on Opteron Steppings over at XS, though now it is a bit outdated.

As for my PSU comment, what I was trying to say is that an underpowered PSU WILL hold back an OC. If you are pushing the PSU to its limit, you can get voltage craptuations, which can offer instabilty, which can reduce max OC. My opinion of your PSU is that it is just enough to power your rig and doesn't give you very much headroom at all. I'm not saying that it is for sure holding back your OC, just that it MIGHT be. Your cpu seems to be performing just about how I might expect a CCBWE 0551 stepping to perform. However, if your psu is on the edge, you MIGHT be able to get more out of the CPU.

Personally I shoot for at least 30% more then I need - i.e. if my system requires 500w to run, I want at least a 650w PSU for it. This keeps the PSU running cool & efficiently with very little strain on it.

Guest Darkslayer

Personally, I would leave it at the lower clock speed. It would be plenty fast, cool and quiet (kinda like the machine in my sig). As for the PSU, I would also upgrade that. I have the OCZ 700w PSU, which has rock solid rails and is cool and quiet :D. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, installed 600W PSU, 4x 12v rails @ 20A each, giving +535W on 12v

Result? ...same as with 480W PSU, which showed 11.7v on 12v....600 shows 12.10 under stress. currently running 11x242 @ 1,485v, with 120mm extra fan inside case. im in a state of heat and cpu limit..hard to know which.

so much for u experts on this forum. 150$ for no good...good job ! look elsewhere for job

11x242 isn't bad tho..1.485v doesnt heat up CPU too much (outside Prime/Orthos). 2,65Ghz dual amd is about 2.2Ghz c2d (saved a fortune switching rigs)

The extra amps from 600W I will need tho, 8800 oc'd will require current, mine oc's willingly. With this psu i'm prepared for summer's c2d switch.