Sign in to follow this  
Triton.se

Your opinion: 1.5v for 2.7GHz or 1.43v for 2.6GHz

I have only quick tested my oc's so far, played games w/o problems in-between. Since I took out 2.87GHz sandy, 2.6GHz seems whimpy....

All oc's are 25-30 min dual prime OK with closed case, max cpu temp ~45, PWM:)

Well you might want to consider upgrading your psu. 480w is kinda pushing it with a dual core and a 8800gts. Especially with your psu fluctuating like that. And as far as overclocking I always go for the highest I can get while still keeping temps at a decent level.

Edit: And a 2.6ghz dual core will destroy a 2.8ghz single core. That is far from being whimpy.

Edit: And a 2.6ghz dual core will destroy a 2.8ghz single core. That is far from being whimpy.

Own benches from R6 Vegas game, showed 30% fps gain while 150MHz lower MHz vs single...but not everything runs dual (except my taxes) yet.

Well..the old games...probably wont NEED inc fps...they already run well (APART FROM UNREAL 2 ENGINE games... google )

EDIT //

PSU/Vcore isn't fluctuating at states..u mean 999W psu always show 11.9? ..but as far as I know problems come later, 5% off chart..at 11.4v

Plus try running ten programs with the sandy and then running ten programs with the opty. Thats where you will see the biggest difference.

The first thing I would do is buy a new PSU.

Then I would buy a good HSF - TT BT, Turniq Tower, etc.

Until then, I would run the cpu at 2600mHz @ 1.43v.

Once you get a good HSF, you will see a big drop in temps & probably an increase in OC. Getting a good PSU will also help you get the most out of your OC - at least a 600w.

PSU/Vcore isn't fluctuating at states..u mean 999W psu always show 11.9? ..but as far as I know problems come later, 5% off chart..at 11.4v

Well for example my Antec psu shows 11.77 all the time and never fluctuates whether at idle or at load. And the OCZ psu always shows 11.96 whether at idle or at load. Even though smartguardian isn't the most accurate reading you can get (ie a DMM) but it is a good way to tell how well your psu can handle the strain your putting on it.

Getting a good PSU will also help you get the most out of your OC - at least a 600w.

I have only seen TWO 175 my stepping over 2700MHz. 3000 and 2750, if you google, rest are @ 1.5 /2700.

Whtat is you observation?

Well for example my Antec psu shows 11.77 all the time and never fluctuates whether at idle or at load. And the OCZ psu always shows 11.96 whether at idle or at load. Even though smartguardian isn't the most accurate reading you can get (ie a DMM) but it is a good way to tell how well your psu can handle the strain your putting on it.[/QUO

OK, note taken :)

Well I haven't seen many 175's but as far as 165/170s of the same stepping they do tend to max out around 2.7. If yours can do 2.7 at just under 1.5v stable...then I imagine you could probably get a little more out of it. But there is no way of telling how far it will go until you try.

thx for fast replies guys... 2 week old cpu and I HAD to pop IHS...zalman or stock wouldn't go contact ... now is 100%

no..this thread IS more about "full vcore" vs "normal oc"

If 1-2 weeks pass w/o issues, i go 2725 ...oc'ing 2,87 took 6 months (from easy 2.805)

--- EDIT ---

Remember: I popped IHS (mostly to see if there was fabrication fault applying paste...looked normal(a bit much!)

Consequences: No stock mobo frame will fit, hsf will be stuck 2,5mm ABOVE core :)

To do: mod the frame, shave off same as IHS removal did

But: shaving legs, means legs come short....mosfets got warm (PWM area temp) . if 60C - no oc......