The Official Nvidia 8800 Series Thread!

Angry_Games

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks rado.

The OP was using stock cooling.

I figured there was an issue with one of the ports being covered but he appears to say there will be an issue with all of them.

(I really can't afford a new card anyway)

But I WOULD like to see ExRoadie's reaction to the Air Raid Siren :D

Thanks rado.

The OP was using stock cooling.

I figured there was an issue with one of the ports being covered but he appears to say there will be an issue with all of them.

(I really can't afford a new card anyway)

From the what he posted the top 2 SATA ports would be blocked; but the other 2 are OK

But I WOULD like to see ExRoadie's reaction to the Air Raid Siren :D

You sell Pro audio equipment don't you; just strap some Huge speakers to your car, park outside his house and blast away (don't forget your hearing protectors though :D)

Even better would be a Boombox trailer from a radio station. ;)

From the what he posted the top 2 SATA ports would be blocked; but the other 2 are OK

Geez, not sure my measurements agree with that but thanks again.

You sell Pro audio equipment don't you; just strap some Huge speakers to your car, park outside his house and blast away (don't forget your hearing protectors though :D)

Even better would be a Boombox trailer from a radio station. ;)

Kinda like to stay a good distance away as I hear he can run pretty fast :)

Geez, not sure my measurements agree with that but thanks again.

Looks to me that the lower 2 would be ok; since the 8800GT has a single slot cooler and the bottom end of the top SATA ports seems to line up exactly with the center of the PCI-e x1 slot.

I'm on my way to grab one of the 2 KO's. Pretty sure looking at everything the top slot is going to be out. It's alright though, just another reason to finish getting the parts to build a new rig. I'll let you know shortly.

OK...Bottom slot, 8800GT fits, clears the SATA ports fine, little tight on the USB header. For the top slot, SATA3 (the one closet to the card slot) is definitely in the way. The one next to it could probably work, but why would you want to have them rubbing like that. Now, I tried using some angled cables and this is what I found. SATA3 plug, is a no go, the cable turns towards the upgraded chipset fan and keeps the card from seating properly. The SATA4 plug with an angled cable..perfect fit! End result, you loose 1 SATA connection. For me, not that big of a deal, I can move the RAID down to the bottom 2, and the 320gig up on the angled cable. I lost use of my SATA DVD Burner, but I have an extra IDE one. Another thing, the bottom card definitely needs the top PCI slot free, otherwise not much room for airflow to the fan.

Edit, I do have pictures, will post in a bit. I've got a rug rat to attend to. :O

Sweet, you are the man!

Take care of the rug rat and Post those pics. :)

I'm thinkin' the bottom slot would be a nightmare if you needed to pop the battery for a CMOS clear.

And I am using all the internal USBs.

Yup, figured that SATA 3 would do a hasta luego for sure.

Concerned about SATA 1 as well.

But it's my backup 400G anyway so "se la vie"

But if I can access SATA 1, 2, & 4 it would save a lot of hassle.

Cobia69 rules.

(benchmarks too if you get time bro)

Here's some pictures from earlier when checking fit.

First one is of the 8800GT KO in comparison to my 7900GT KO

img4027zj3.jpg

This one shows the clearance with one card in the bottom vid card slot. Clearly you can see it sits above the battery, but doesn't affect the SATA connections.

img4035eh0.jpg

Here just with one 8800GT in the top slot using an angled SATA cable to still have access to the outer of the top two SATA mobo connections. Obviously I've lost use of the inner one. I tried using another angled cable there, but it lays over the top of the chipset fan, and won't allow the card to seat properly.

img4053qp3.jpg

Finally checking the fit of both cards installed. Clearance to the USB header for the front of the case is a bit tight, but not pinching. The top PCI card (audigy) has to be moved to the bottom, and I'll have to move the modem (used for faxes) to another rig.

img4036su2.jpg

I've pulled it all apart and cleaned the dust out (was time again!) Going to run benchmarks with a single card in top, then bottom, then both in SLi for comparision.:drool:

Speaking of overclocking the 8800 GT, I flashed the BIOS last night to bump the voltage to 1.1v and it was more stable at 735core/1800shader/1010mem.

I would be doing more now, but am doing a Ghost of my drive before I try out SP3 RC1.

Thanks Cobia!

Somebody nudge Mike and see if he's drugged or dead :)

I'm awake!

Just left a Christmas party early. Drunk ho-type-stoopid-female dumped a full frozen Margarita down my back just as I was getting my MOJO started with this really cool chick. Bummer.

Anyway.

Be Aware!

When ordering SATA cables with angle connectors be aware that there are 90 degree and 270 degree connectors.

On a hard drive, a 90 degree connector will send the cable "down" while a 280 degree connector will send the cable "up".

When the SATA connectors on the mobo are side by side that means you will need a 90 and 270 to use both by sending the cables in opposite directions.