The Official Nvidia 8800 Series Thread!

Angry_Games

Has anyone tried these newest drivers on the 8800 GTS?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html

Will the Sedona/Coolbits hack still work on these? I just installed my card today & installed these drivers, but not sure I should use the hack incase it causes problems. Thought I read somewhere that it no longer works, but can't find find that info again.

I have been using these drivers on my 8800GTX and it seems to be working fine. I have only been playing HL2, Stalker and Dark Messiah. I tried the Sedona and Coolbits reg on the 158.22.......it works fine. I just used the premade files on AG's post up the top of this page. Good luck

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using these drivers on my 8800GTX and it seems to be working fine. I have only been playing HL2, Stalker and Dark Messiah. I tried the Sedona and Coolbits reg on the 158.22.......it works fine. I just used the premade files on AG's post up the top of this page. Good luck

Thanks for the info! However, I am experiencing some instability since installing my new card. I just upgraded to an eVGA 8800GTS 320MB, and as soon as I installed it I started having the issues. The main one with Oblivion. It has locked up a couple times, but generally it crashes back to the desktop with a runtime error. Specifically "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error! Program: C:program filesbethesda softworksOblivion.exe, This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." This happens very randomly, could be five minutes, 10 or 45 and it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing in the game or what graphics options I use. I don't have any other big games installed to try, although I did run 3DMark06 several times with no apparent issues.

A couple other programs have also crashed randomly including my avast! Antivirus and Dragon NaturallySpeaking. The Dragon NaturallySpeaking gave me an error saying that the installation was damaged. I ran the repair option from the CD and it seems to be working again. But all of this just started since installing my new video card.

My PSU is less than a month-old. My previous video card was an XFX 6600 GT and everything was working fine. With the 8800 I initially started out with the newest drivers 158.22, following the proper installation process. I just did a clean driver install using 97.94 with no luck. Nothing is overclocked.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

XFX 8800 640 GTS shipped today. $309.00 after rebate. Putting it in my OC'd FX-55 machine (ASUS).

I'm sending this post via my wife's DFI NF4 Ultra-D, I promised to resurrect for her after I ordered the new card, and put my 6800 Ultra back in this machine.

Been sitting for months gathering dust. Fired-up first time for new windows install. Running 3800+ @ mild OC @ 2.62 Ghz.

Hi Angry! Long time, no? Wondered what you were up to!

Charles

I have been testing an EVGA 8800GTS 320 with Vista 64. Temp, as indicated by Nvidia monitor drops about 4C after running a windows media file video. Any idea what Vista is up too??

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who've tried the in-title-mentioned ( NF4Ultra-D, HR05-SLI, 8800GTS & HR-03 Plus? ) configuration?

Currently my 8800GTS' stock cooler just touches my chipset cooler (HR05 SLI), although it hasn't affected the HR05 Sli "lock" on the Chipset.

I wan't to mess with some overclocking aswell as I like the cooling performance of the HR03 Plus compared to stock-cooler ( - 20 degrees C at load )

Remember: there's no room to mount the HR-03 Plus on the backside of the 8800GTS due to the size of my AC Freezer 64 Pro Cpu-cooler !

bump

Sometimes you have to pave your own path. Nothing better than being the first one in the pool so to speak. Give it a shot and let everyone know your experience. Even better, if it works, create a tutorial and cement your name forever in the history books at DIY-Street.

if you're worried about not having enough space for the hr-03 plus and want some better cooling, pick up this Thermaltake TMG ND5:

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/thermaltakend5.html

I got it for my 8800gts, and it works like a charm. Temps went down from ~75-80 to ~50-55.

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/89354/0/IMG_0965.JPG

Is that 8800GTS laying on a carpet?

Dude, just what I needed to see, a different option for my 8800gts (640mb), than that beast hr-03 plus - I have a sound card, and TV Tuner card that limits my space to the south and my CPU cooler takes up space to the North of the PCI-E slot.

Question: I noticed the big fin section sticking over the top end of the card. When you install it on your motherboard and close the case, does that fin touch, rub or come close to the computer case door?

Could you take a measurement for me from the connectors, or if installed from the motherboard, to the top/end of the fin where it would reach the case door?

I just wanna make sure I have enough room there...

I'm currently am at 50C at idle, 60C load. But that's with a 120mm fan on high pointing at it that sounds like a shop fan - loud :drool: So to keep the temps down and lower the 120mm fan speed would be cool:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.,

BB

If I get some time at home this weekend I'll get those measurements for ya.

I don't have any problems with the size though, I've got a mid-size case. It only rises about an inch or so above the card, so it's really not that bad.