The Official Nvidia 8800 Series Thread!

Angry_Games

For anyone wanting to try a different utility for fan control and overclocking. . .

Gainward has produced a utility just for that on their 8000GTS/GTX cards. And suprisingly it has worked on my eVGA branded superclocked card also. It is called EXPERtool and can be found here;

http://www.gainward.net/support/index_uk/

A pretty slick interface that allows tweaking on several of your key video card and display settings.

All of that a very small footprint of less that 2200k when running in the background. Pretty sweet overall.

By adjusting the fan speed on the stock cooler at 80% my idle temps are 52C and my load temps have stayed below 65C even after several hours of BF2.

Link dead. Any other way to get Expertool?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link dead. Any other way to get Expertool?

I'm using version 4.9, but here is a link to get version 5.0

Haven't tried the latest version yet, but I can confirm that version 4.9 works just great with Windows XP Professional SP2 and eVGA 8800GTS.

Give version 5 a whirl, bet it works too.

http://www.gainward.net/en/support/support_uk.html

i screwed up something in my driver (a custom resolution/refresh) and had to completely dump the 97.92 driver. Instead of re-installing it, I went ahead and installed the 97.94 updated driver.

If anything, the sedona.reg (to enable old control panel) and then the coolbits.reg (overclocking/advanced options for the old control panel) worked a lot easier this time, and I've already cranked this thing back up from 575/1800 to 625/1900 (stock heatsink so I'll stop there) easily.

Before, something odd happened with the two reghacks that always made me fight the control panel (had to keep opening it in modern cp and then telling it to let me open old cp and then sometimes it would loose the advanced bits grrrr).

I've only played a little Eve Online today since, but I'll be playing some STALKER tonight most likely (but got to practice for Guitar Hero bbq party tomorrow lol)

I played Guitar Hero for the first time this weekend. We had a little get together for a close family friend who is stationed in Iraq that finally got some much deserved leave.

It was an absolute blast.

I still haven't tried the 97.94 driver yet. Just waiting for a real reason to need it, but so far my experience with the 97.92's has been problem free.

Did manage to up my minimum FPS in FEAR up to 60 FPS by turning down AA from 4X > 2X. Just about every other eye candy is maxed out though and I'm running 8X AF and 1680X1050 screen resolution.

The GTS is simply an amazing card.

Worth every penny that I spent on it. Never thought I'd love a card as much as I loved my X1900XT, but I can honestly say that the 8800GTS beats it down.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, Finally got my 8800GTS. Rivatuner seems the be the OCer of choice?

Is there any point to me having nTune on my puter?

nope, I used it when I first got the 8800GTS, but I simply use the Sedona reghack to get the old Control Panel back, then the Coolbits reghack to get teh advanced (overclocking) functions

All stock I got around 7200 3DMarks 06. Upping the 8800 to 600/1900 I got around 7350 3DMarks 06. Then Upping the CPU to 2500MHz I got around 8600 3DMarks 06. I guess I have a CPU bottle neck:p. Still not complaining at around a 4000 3DMark increase over my Opty 146 and 7900GT. Too bad my CPU core1 gets up to around 68C under Orthos at that clock even on stock volts. I have my Tt Typhoon ready to go on, just waiting for a mounting plate to turn up..

Thanks for the reg. hacks above - that new control panel is lower than whale . on a scale of 1-10...

Picked up an Albatron branded 640Mb version a couple of days ago - stock speeds were 513/792, which bagged a 3D06 of 9152 in sigrig. After a quick fiddle, 625/1000 pushed out 10715 'marks.

Highest temp reported so far is 67 DegC (roomtemp 22.5) - not as bad as i was expecting. I'll see what a few hours of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will do to it :)

-------

edit ; After several days of flogging, the hottest this card has seen is 75 DegC @ 27 room temp, which is still slightly under what i expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried these newest drivers on the 8800 GTS?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html

Will the Sedona/Coolbits hack still work on these? I just installed my card today & installed these drivers, but not sure I should use the hack incase it causes problems. Thought I read somewhere that it no longer works, but can't find find that info again.