The Official Nvidia 8800 Series Thread!

Angry_Games

Thanks for a thorough answer.

The reason for me stating that a 8800GTS 320MB was the only one making sense is that the price difference - at least in this country - between a deceant 7950 512MB and 8800GTS 320MB is very low. A 7950 with 256MB is even worse since there's practically no difference in price at all in comparison to a 512MB. That said, it makes a choice of a 7950 over a 8800 very difficult.

Actually the only best bang for the buck below 8800GTS 320MB seems in my eyes to be 7900GS, but that's below what I expect in performance.

However what you say about OpenGL makes me worried. Do the games you mention have a strange code, or did you mean that the 8800 have poor support of OpenGL? I ask because OpenGL is kind of important if you're a Linux user (pretend like you didn't read the L***x word, just comment if you please the question about OpenGL support).

Thanks again.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone wanting to try a different utility for fan control and overclocking. . .

Gainward has produced a utility just for that on their 8000GTS/GTX cards. And suprisingly it has worked on my eVGA branded superclocked card also. It is called EXPERtool and can be found here;

http://www.gainward.net/support/index_uk/

A pretty slick interface that allows tweaking on several of your key video card and display settings.

All of that a very small footprint of less that 2200k when running in the background. Pretty sweet overall.

By adjusting the fan speed on the stock cooler at 80% my idle temps are 52C and my load temps have stayed below 65C even after several hours of BF2.

Anyone got a length measurement for an EVGA8800GTS 320Mb?

From this review: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB Superclocked Videocard Review - Card, Contents, and Temps...

Measuring roughly 9 inches in length (it's bigger brother, the GTX, measures about 10.5 inches,

http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/61/ARTIC...2007-03-26.html

I've got mine running on RivaTuner 2.0. Really nice card. Replaced X1900xt which I thought was good until this came along.

Thanks Angry for the new Diver release, I had no idea - will download now. Q: Why did you call the 975XG the "buggy" mobo? Just curious as you used to rave about it... main reason why I bought it.

AG,

Does the new driver pack include utilities for overclocking and fan control or we still up to add on 3rd party apps. for handling those tasks?

was out of town last night and haven't had a chance to install them yet, but after reading the release notes, there's really no reason I can see to install them unless you have the exact issues that are listed =(

(ps I just use classic cp reghack and then coolbits)

Thanks AG. I think I'll stick with the 97.92 driver pack for now then. It is working well with my eVGA 640MB 8800GTS and the Gainward xPert tool for overclocking and fan control.

So far I'm a happy camper. Performance and graphics are outstanding. Runs FEAR at 1680X1050 and just about every eye candy setting on max and still pegs 74fps average and my lowest is 40fps using the built in performance test in FEAR. I never really knew what I was missing until I got this new graphics card installed in my C2D rig. It really is outstanding.

Thanks AG. I think I'll stick with the 97.92 driver pack for now then. It is working well with my eVGA 640MB 8800GTS and the Gainward xPert tool for overclocking and fan control.

So far I'm a happy camper. Performance and graphics are outstanding. Runs FEAR at 1680X1050 and just about every eye candy setting on max and still pegs 74fps average and my lowest is 40fps using the built in performance test in FEAR. I never really knew what I was missing until I got this new graphics card installed in my C2D rig. It really is outstanding.

I have to agree, and I only have the 8800GTS 320MB version. 1440x900 = there isn't any game that will make my Core2 @ 3Ghz choke...except Rainbow Six: Vegas can at certain times, but hey, that's the new Unreal3 engine, and it can make an 8800GTX 768MB choke in certain areas. I can't wait for about 6-12 months with new class of gpu's to see what the Unreal3 engine REALLY looks like (ie with EVERYTHING maxed out and running smooth!)

I hear that the 320MB versions clock extremely well too (that is if you're into that kind of stuff :))

Mine went right up to 600/1750 without breaking a sweat. I mean "boom", popped it in, ran it at the stock superclock speeds (576/1700) for about a week and then hit the overclock button.

They really are sweet cards. They add a little heat to the inside of the case, but other than that I don't have a single complaint. And it really is nice not to have all that stupid ATi junk on my machine just to run a graphics card!

I hear that the 320MB versions clock extremely well too (that is if you're into that kind of stuff :))

Mine went right up to 600/1750 without breaking a sweat. I mean "boom", popped it in, ran it at the stock superclock speeds (576/1700) for about a week and then hit the overclock button.

They really are sweet cards. They add a little heat to the inside of the case, but other than that I don't have a single complaint. And it really is nice not to have all that stupid ATi junk on my machine just to run a graphics card!

Q: What tool are you using to overclock with?

I have the Superclocked 576/1700 card too, and RivaTuner won't let me adjust the clocks. No problem with the fan tuner though.

Update: RivaTuner Overclocking works now - missed a step. O.C.'d to 630/1070(2140)!!! Will run testes to see differences soon.

Thanks.