Sign in to follow this  
red930

Guide to VMware and SMP install for [email protected]

For all that wish to fold for team 45454 DIY-Street this is a very good thread to get you going with SMP folding.

Member “THEnumber337” put a lot of hard work in this thread. We should all do him the honor and set up some folding rig and fold for a cure. :)

It needs some updating, especially the [email protected] client as it is no longer available. There are newer versions of vmware and ubuntu available too, but there are also better linux distros available if folding is your primary reason for running linux in vmware. I'm working on a couple of other projects right now but when I finish those up I would be happy to update the guide and present more options as well..

I've played around with the SMP client (sans VMware) and frankly it's got me pretty discouraged. Guess I lack the know-how to get it exactly right. I don't like my cpu running at 100% utilization - especially overclocked - and I couldn't find any way to change the cpu utilization when using the SMP client.

Guess I've been using the GUI version for too long, it's kind of got me spoiled. The SMP version just seems so DOS to me - and I gave up DOS long ago. Guess I'm lazy. Windows has me spoiled :)

wevsspot,

The core section of my client.cfg file is shown below. I have changed the cpuusage

value and the percentage in task manager seems to follow what is in this valuue. This was with the Windows SMP client, not using vmware. When setting up the client.cfg file I think this question is asked in the advanced questions but don't remember exactly where.

[core]

priority=96

cpuusage=96

checkpoint=10

ignoredeadlines=yes