Sign in to follow this  
red930

Guide to VMware and SMP install for [email protected]

I'm just finishing ths work unit in the windows client, then that'll be turned off...

I thought hitting Ctrl-C botched the current work unit... anyway, even if you wait, but I guess not. I'll give it a try. Thanks EllisD

@wevsspot: The VMware thing was VERY easy... not a single hiccup... it's actually kinda cool, I'm gonna play around with several linux distros in VMWare and se what I like before I switch to one semi-permanently.

...I'm gonna play around with several linux distros in VMWare and se what I like before I switch to one semi-permanently.

For a folding-only VM, I installed a minimal Debian text-only setup, using the 40mb (business card cd-size) image located here:

http://www.debian.com/distrib/netinst#verysmall

I had a theory that forgoing any graphics on the VM could help free up more CPU power to crank out the WUs faster, and use less memory. I haven't used a GUI installation as a comparison, so I can't really say if there's any real advantage. I can say that the VM boots very fast using this setup.

Alternatively, if you dont wanna mess around with an OS at all, you could try out the USB method. I wrote up a little bit about it here (few views, no comments :(). I was using it on my opty rig without VM, just straight booting to the USB stick and it was very impressive time-wise. I am away fom my PC for at least 18hrs a day (sleep + work+ travel time between) so this was by far the best method for me. Trumped the performance i was getting before.

I'll try the USB key method on my A64 system once I stop procrastinating and put it back together (de-lid + install some kind of bolt-through cooler) :)