CPU upgrade advise.

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU from the one in my sig, was thinking along the lines of an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ What are your thoughts? Will I notice a worthy performance increase to make it worth it? Are these chips slowly dissapearing? Reason I ask is cause things tend to rise in price as they get hard to come by..

Opteron 165,170,175 all are great overclockers & having 2 cores is awesome.

I am one of those people that have 6-10 things going on at once burning a cd, un packing a RAR file, uploading data from my flash memory stick, on the net, listening to music using media player etc etc etc & this is where dual core really rocks (multitasking) hell I can even play Call of Duty while a DVD is burning if I wanted to.

4200+ are realy bad OCer.

my friend own one and we cant get that sucker to boo @t 2.45Ghz with 1.5V while we could get his own venice 3000+ up there ...

definitly the Opteron is the way to go

You cant really say that... your friends one is/might be a bad overclocker, but that does not mean that they all will be bad.

I have had mine @2.45 GHz by just pushing up the FSB and doing nothing else.

The Opterons are good for the money, unless your in the UK where the 3800 and 4200 x2's are around £60 and £70 quid each for a full retail 'PIB' package, thats unbeatable value for money IMO as the dual core Opteron is a bit harder to get hold of in comparison.

I just got my 4200+ stable at 2.7 - couldnt get it much higher without going over 50's in temp but not too bad considering. If i were smart though, I would have gone with the opteron but considering I paid about the same price and this was my first time overclocking I am not too sad...

I just got my 4200+ stable at 2.7 - couldnt get it much higher without going over 50's in temp but not too bad considering. If i were smart though, I would have gone with the opteron but considering I paid about the same price and this was my first time overclocking I am not too sad...

2.7ghz is nothing to feel bad about.