Network Setup Help

OtisN89

I agree with Dr. Bowtie. By running the CD Setup Wizard, it will most likely set up everything for you. Just follow his advice and your network should be up and running in no time.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! This is getting tough. Before we go any further, which of the following situations best applies to you as of right now?

1) Both computers can connect to the internet, but can't share files with each other.

2) Both computers can't connect to the internet nor share files with each other.

3) Both computers can share files with each other, but can't connect to the internet.

4) One of the computers can connect to the internet and the other cannot. Neither computer can share files with the other.

5) None of the above.

We need to pinpoint exactly where the problem is at so that we can provide the correct solution.

I think we are missing something here, lets wait for his responce to your question Lavell.

Look Up!

1) Both computers can connect to the internet, but can't share files with each other.

Sorry I thought I that was understood, but yeah, just can't set up a network/work group to share files.

Try switching the computers to a different workgroup name (with the wizard); as this will reset all settings to the correct values. Also be sure that there is no firewall active (or that the IPs of the other machines are unblocked).

Since both computers can connect to the internet but can't share files, that tells me 1 of 3 things is wrong or a combination of all 3:

1) There's a firewall (hardware or software) that's not programmed to share files within a network. This problem can be caused by the router (hardware firewall) or the computer(s) (software firewall).

2) One or both computers are not properly configured by Windows to share files.

3) The router's LAN features are not configured properly.

At this point, we are going to tackle this one by one. But before we do, take the time and make sure all the connections are as follows:

The CAT5 cable coming from the cable modem should be connected to the WAN port on the back of the router.

The CAT5 cable coming from the computers should be connected to the LAN ports on the back of the router. If you look at the manual on pages 5 & 6, notice that LAN port 4 can be used as an uplink to extend your network. Since you only have 2 computers, you don't need to worry about this. Connect the CAT5 cables coming from the computers into LAN ports 1 and 2. Do not use LAN port 4.

Once this is complete, verify that you can still connect to the internet on both computers. If so, log into the router and ensure that the router's firewall is enabled. Pages 20 & 36 of the manual will show you how to do this. After that, go on both computers and disable any and all software firewalls and internet connection sharing software that may be installed.

Once all of this is done, make sure Windows XP and Windows Media Center have the latest updates. We are now ready to tackle these problems. Let me know when you are ready.

Sorry I thought I that was understood, but yeah, just can't set up a network/work group to share files.

Follow these steps. Do this on both computers:

1) Rename your workgroup to "MSHOME". This will require a reboot.

2) Use the "Set up a home or small office network" wizard. When you get to the "Select a connectioin method" window, select the following method: This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network.

3) When you get to the "Give this computer a description and a name" window, make sure you do so. Make it unique on both computers.

4) When you get to the "File and printer sharing" window, make sure you turn this feature on.

5) Apply the settings. After that, the wizard should ask you to reboot. Do so. After the reboot, do a test to make sure the computers can share files. DO NOT enable any of the software firewalls. I'll let you know when to do so. How did the test go?

1) Rename your workgroup to "MSHOME". This will require a reboot.

Ditto on that

3) When you get to the "Give this computer a description and a name" window, make sure you do so. Make it unique on both computers.

IMO only the computer name is necessary; I always leave the description blank.

Just make sure that no 2 PCs have the same computer name.

I did that, but now the DFI rig shows that it is the only computer in its work group. When I clicked "View work group computers" on the ASUS it said "Workgroup is not accessible." and then something about, I may not have permission to access and contact an administrator, and then something like: No servers available for work group.

I'm pretty sure I could figure out file sharing, but I can't get the network setup right.

Hmm...I just went through a similar experience, I basically followed thissetup except for step 14 I created a Network Setup disk(probably unnecessary)

This might also help, even after I had gone through all this and was able to see the other comp I wanted files from, when I clicked on it I got another error message "Not Enough Server Storage is Available".

I had to go into the registry of the host comp and edit the registry by adding a DWord value (IRPStackSize),then kept increasing the size until it finally worked, which for me the decimal was 21.

It's explained here pretty good.