Sign in to follow this  
OtisN89

Network Setup Help

I'm running XP Media Center on one and XP Pro on the other. I have Belkin 4-port Cable/DSL Router, and I don't think I have it set to anything, I just plugged everything in. I tried it turning off nVidia firewall, same problem. I guess I'll just try a couple more times.

Guest Lavell

Give us the model number of the router so that we can look it up on the internet and find the manual;

or

give us a link as to exactly what router you have so that we know what we're dealing with.

I know how to set it up physically, plugging in cables and such. I just can't set up the windows home network.

Try re-running the wizard on each machine; first changing the workgroup to something other than what it's currently set at, then to your desired workgroup.

Make sure there are no weird characters in the computer name (or description, just to be safe), I was having the same problem the other day because I was using BEDROOM_XP, BEDROOMXP worked fine.

Guest Lavell

Did you run the "Easy Setup Wizard" CD that came with the router on both computers?

Just log in to the router and make sure you have DHCP enabled and make sure the router detects all the pc's hooked to it and issues a seperate IP for each one..you may have to enable the auto feature for it.

on each rig in the network properties they should all be checked for Automatically obtain IP and DNS and it should be set the same in the router...

EDIT: I just read the manual to that router...the easiest way for you to set it up correctly would be to use the Set-up wizard...just follow the manual starting on page 7 and go from there...then add you other PC's when you're ready and it should configure the network for you...try that..;)

Or do it like I'm so use to. When cata 5 cables get unhooked with the PC on i lose rights to networking on that PC. And never figured out how to fix that. But with all PC hooked up and run xp repair always fixes my network. Or makes one. then i just turn on share this drive and I'm back running

Yes...the would be the easiest thing to do....You MUST hook the main PC straight to the modem (router NOT hooked up) and run the cd...then rehook up the router and finish the cd install as per directions...then hook the other PC's to the router and run the cd and add pc's...just follow the directions closely...I would read them altleast once before you proceed...

Mine was not that complicated but the router you have seems pretty thorough and may not recognize the network until set-up properly...