DFI 975X/G + E6600 Problems getting to 3.6GHz

I am Orthos stable at 3.5GHz. 3.6GHz eludes me. I get no POST. 12/1 BIOS.

A little overview of my BIOS settings:

Everything in RAM settings is Auto except for the divider, set on 400MHz.

FSB: 400

PCIE: 115MHz

CPU Voltage: 1.35 + 325mV (as high as Ive tried)

DRAM Voltage: 2.1v

NB Voltage: 1.75v

I have everything disabled that I need to be, C1E, Execute Disable Bit, L3 cache, other trivial things.

If you read my sig, you will see that Ive got an SI-120 and some random fan (I think its a Thermaltake). My computer is on my floor with the side panel off, next to my goofy dorm room heater. The heater spews out 85F air out the top and then 45F air out the bottom. Hence why my computer is on the floor... higher clocks. When it was on my desk, I would load at 3.2GHz @ 65C. Ive been watching for condensation, and even if the room gets to 70F, (roommate and I get uncomfortably warm), there is no condensation. Im glad.

At 3.5GHz with the side panel off, I load at 57-59C in Orthos with Blend and Small FFT's. I want to hit 3.6 just to see if its possible on air with decent temps, bragging rights against my buddy and his finnicky DS3.

Coretemp always saw lower temps for me than Smart Guardian... Ill check next time I try.

Any quick guides to RAM timings, or should I just make them hella loose until I can get POST at 3.6, and then once 3.6 is stable, should I go back and tighten the timings? I dont think I tried more DRAM voltage.

To be honest with you I'm not at all very familiar with ddr2's but the approach to them should be the same. I'd look over at the OCDB entries and try them out. It is a very tedious process and takes a while to do. Yeah, thats what I'd do, loosen it a bit then tighten them up once you get stable for at least 8hrs Orthos. My Ballistix ran 1:1 at 400x9 @2.5 voltage but was able to lower the voltage a bit but did not have the time or patience to lower the timings. I just wanted to play with my 8800gts/6600 rig.

I am Orthos stable at 3.5GHz. 3.6GHz eludes me. I get no POST. 12/1 BIOS.

A little overview of my BIOS settings:

Everything in RAM settings is Auto except for the divider, set on 400MHz.

FSB: 400

PCIE: 115MHz

CPU Voltage: 1.35 + 325mV (as high as Ive tried)

DRAM Voltage: 2.1v

NB Voltage: 1.75v

I have everything disabled that I need to be, C1E, Execute Disable Bit, L3 cache, other trivial things.

If you read my sig, you will see that Ive got an SI-120 and some random fan (I think its a Thermaltake). My computer is on my floor with the side panel off, next to my goofy dorm room heater. The heater spews out 85F air out the top and then 45F air out the bottom. Hence why my computer is on the floor... higher clocks. When it was on my desk, I would load at 3.2GHz @ 65C. Ive been watching for condensation, and even if the room gets to 70F, (roommate and I get uncomfortably warm), there is no condensation. Im glad.

At 3.5GHz with the side panel off, I load at 57-59C in Orthos with Blend and Small FFT's. I want to hit 3.6 just to see if its possible on air with decent temps, bragging rights against my buddy and his finnicky DS3.

I don’t know if this will help but here are some of my findings.

There is a new beta BIOS out on the DFI site 97TID213

I had the same no boot @ 408FSB + problem before I changed over to my 700w OCZ PSU which will allow me to boot to 425-435FSB before I start getting another intermittent no boot problem associated with my 6800GT.

I got hold of a super cheep E6300 & fitted a 6200TC graphics card & my board boots with 1.75v NB & PPM disabled all the way to 475FBS so I am sure the boards are good & I now know the board is not the thing holding back my E6600.

The latest BIOS may fix my problem with the 6800GT.

I use the Tuniq tower 120 & my temps have never broken 70oc even at 1.7v although I have lapped & polished the IHS because it was horribly concaved.

I also have the cheapest DDR2-800 I could find & run it on the 533 divider as you can see from my SIG click on the speed to go to my OCDB entry. I am sure your RAM running on the 400 divider is not holding you back yet although I would set the primary timings manually & leave everything else on auto.

You will very quickly find out if its your RAM stopping you from posting/booting if you over do it because the screen will stay black & the motherboard buzzer will sound continuously.

Playing with my E6300 I also found that I didn’t need any additional PCI-E frequency, NB voltage or DRAM voltage all the way up to 450fsb with the 12/01/2006 BIOS.

EDIT

I am using core temp to measure my temps

There is a new beta BIOS out on the DFI site 97TID213

I also have the cheapest DDR2-800 I could find & run it on the 533 divider as you can see from my SIG click on the speed to go to my OCDB entry. I am sure your RAM running on the 400 divider is not holding you back yet although I would set the primary timings manually & leave everything else on auto.

You will very quickly find out if its your RAM stopping you from posting/booting if you over do it because the screen will stay black & the motherboard buzzer will sound continuously.

EDIT

I am using core temp to measure my temps

For those suggesting CoreTemp: I ran a little test last night after I posted here. I loaded up Orthos on small FFTs and let it run for about 10 minutes while I got ready for bed. I when at idle, CoreTemp read temps 4-5C higher than SmartGuardian. When at 100% load, their temp readings were at most, +/-2C, usually they were the same.

With a bigger class load this semester at college, and a new obsession, BF2, I dont really have time to spend hours and hours fiddling with RAM timings... 3.5 is probably as high as Im going to go until I get water (summer).

My RAM is definitely NOT holding me back. I wanted to see how far I could push it a few months back. I cleared my CMOS and reset everything to default on the 9/13 BIOS I had at the time. I put in the 800 divider, and then proceeded to overclock my E6600 to 3.0GHz, which had my RAM, DDR2-675 at 1005MHz @ 2.45v. I was Orthos stable for 8 hours with that and it ran just fine for a few days until I shut my computer down. The next day it refused to start up and gave me the DRAM error beep code prior to POST. I checked the sticks, found the "dead" one and pulled it out. Needless to say, I was pissed because at that time, DDR2 prices were in outer space, $350 for DDR2-533. That stick sat on top of my case for a week until I looked at it... 3 of the contacts had a black smudge or something on them... looked like corrosion. Scratched that off with a finger nail, popped it back in and its been working ever since. 1005MHz, 430MHz above stock speed, I can push this RAM. Currently, at 3.5GHz on the 400MHz divider, its at about 760MHz IIRC.

I don’t know if it will help you but I have just flashed to the new beta BIOS & it has far greater/better voltage control it didn’t do anything for me but it might help you.

I can’t get on with BF2 I am a Medal of Honour, Call of Duty & on a good day Brothers in Arms man I Just like blowing s**t up instead of thinking about it. biggrin.gif

Hey Chump, great job on this OCDB entry.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...97&postcount=47

I might just get that Tuniq. One of my Ballistix died and gave me all sorts of problems so its on RMA, and my 8800GTX is due to arrive next week Tuesday. I hope I will get better results with the new bios. I could not get past 405 fsb no matter what. I even did a pencil mod with the NB and ram voltage, still clocked the same. I even had it on water.

Hey Chump, great job on this OCDB entry.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...97&postcount=47

I might just get that Tuniq. One of my Ballistix died and gave me all sorts of problems so its on RMA, and my 8800GTX is due to arrive next week Tuesday. I hope I will get better results with the new bios. I could not get past 405 fsb no matter what. I even did a pencil mod with the NB and ram voltage, still clocked the same. I even had it on water.

Thanks I am very happy with the OC.

The Tuniq Tower 120 is excellent I highly recommend them.

Beta BIOS out for the 975X board.

After flashing to it last night I was able to boot @ 490FBS :eek2: VTT:1.5v & NB: 1.9V with my E6300 so I might be able to improve on that entry with the E6600 fingers crossed.