My 165 runs pretty hot

RAINMAKA

I knew going from my 3700+ to a 165 that temps would increase but I didnt expect them to be as high as they are. With my XP-120 at stock voltage of 1.35V my 165 would hit around 54C under full load. So I tried reseating my heatsink and lapping my XP-120 and temps still got into the low 50's.

So I ordered a Tuniq Tower as I heard it was one of the best air coolers out there right now. The good thing is the Tuniq lowered my temps but still creep up to around 48C.

Do you guys think I should take the IHS off? I plan to go watercooling once I get my tax money back but that isn't going to happen for a little while. I just want to be able to overclock this cpu some more but with the temps the way they are I havent been able to up the vcore at all. Thankfully Ive got 2.8GHz stable on stock voltage.

I knew going from my 3700+ to a 165 that temps would increase but I didnt expect them to be as high as they are. With my XP-120 at stock voltage of 1.35V my 165 would hit around 54C under full load. So I tried reseating my heatsink and lapping my XP-120 and temps still got into the low 50's.

So I ordered a Tuniq Tower as I heard it was one of the best air coolers out there right now. The good thing is the Tuniq lowered my temps but still creep up to around 48C.

Do you guys think I should take the IHS off? I plan to go watercooling once I get my tax money back but that isn't going to happen for a little while. I just want to be able to overclock this cpu some more but with the temps the way they are I havent been able to up the vcore at all. Thankfully Ive got 2.8GHz stable on stock voltage.

Even if you have it at stock voltage, if you have it at the overclock speed in your sig you should expect a temp increase.

Do you have good airflow inside your case?

Yea I have good air flow in my case. I know that a overclocked cpu even without a voltage increase will increase heat but that much heat? I didnt think that I would see temps of around 50C until I upped the vcore but I guess dual cores but out more heat than I assumed.

Yea I have good air flow in my case. I know that a overclocked cpu even without a voltage increase will increase heat but that much heat? I didnt think that I would see temps of around 50C until I upped the vcore but I guess dual cores but out more heat than I assumed.

Even for stock volts that does seem high. What are your ambient temperatures like? I have my Opty 165 at 2.7 Ghz at 1.35v and I think my load temps are around high 30s with ambient temp around 22-23.

yeah, theres some missing information. your case may not have enough fans, or the set up isn't allowing good airflow. are all your cables tied up and do you have a neat case? how many fans do you have and where? is the fan from the cpu cooler blowing out the back? are the rear fans also blowing out the back? are there any side fans blowing into the case?

yeah, theres some missing information. your case may not have enough fans, or the set up isn't allowing good airflow. are all your cables tied up and do you have a neat case? how many fans do you have and where? is the fan from the cpu cooler blowing out the back? are the rear fans also blowing out the back? are there any side fans blowing into the case?

His case is listed in his sig along with the number of fans.....

All my cable are tied up and are neatly organized. I have 3 120mm fans in my case. One as a intake and two as exhaust fans, one being on the rear and one on the top or the case. My heatsink exhausts right into the exhaust fan on the top of my case.

Im just curious if maybe the IHS isnt making the contact with cores like it should be and if removing the IHS would be a good idea.

All my cable are tied up and are neatly organized. I have 3 120mm fans in my case. One as a intake and two as exhaust fans, one being on the rear and one on the top or the case. My heatsink exhausts right into the exhaust fan on the top of my case.

Im just curious if maybe the IHS isnt making the contact with cores like it should be and if removing the IHS would be a good idea.

It is possible that the core is not making good contact with the IHS. However, determining whether it is a good idea or not to remove the IHS is your decision and your decision only.

One recommendation I have before you make a decision is to take out your CPU and your XP-120 and take the edge of a razor blade (or something else that you know is completely level) and hold them both up to a light with the razor perpendicular to the IHS and lightly pass it over the IHS. If you can see any light shine through the IHS and the razor then your IHS may not be perfectly flat. Also you might want to try the same thing with the XP-120.

The other thing to try is to lower your voltage as much as possible. You may not be able to do so, but my FX-60 was able to clock to 2.86G's at .05 less than stock volts. You have a good family of steppings with a CCBBE, so you may be able to shave .025 to .05 off of the volts and still run. That'll drop your temps 3-5 degrees.

I tried 3 Opty 165's before giving up & going Intel C2D

1st ran 50-60oC @ 2900mhz & would not take any more voltage due to the heat it was making that I could not get rid off. This chip also had 10-14oC difference in core temps.

2nd would run at 2880mhz any more it just rebooted the PC

3rd is the one @ 2925mhz in my sig it will run 3100mhz but I cant get it stable @ 3ghz for more than 6 hours.

Since I now have C2D it has made me realise how cool the AMD's run I have had my C2D @ 100oC :eek2: before I got a decent heatsink & it now runs 55-70oC @ 3750mhz in Orthos SP 04.