digital cameras allow you to see a crt flash?

mihkail

When i look at my crt monitor with my camera phone i can see it flickering, is this the flashing that the crt uses to display the images? Im guessing the camera on the phone and other digital cameras dont refresh fast enough so i kind of slows it down right?

CRTs use interlaced display technology; every other line >> two passes per image refresh. If you look closely with the naked eye you can actually see that it is indeed flickering due to the interlacing.

When you are viewing the display through a video camera; the camera uses a different refresh rate than the CRT (about 30Hz for a camera and 70Hz for a CRT); resulting in the noticeable flickering effect on the camera due to the refresh rates being out of phase. If the CRTs refresh rate were a multiple of that of the camera; this would not be very obvious.

if you take a picture of a crt monitor, you should be able to see the actual lines being drawn (or at least a subsection of lines). i'll post a pic a bit later if people want to see it.

also, you can notice crt flicker when you just wave your hand with your fingers spread open. if you mess with the refresh rate, you will actually see that the spacing between your fingers increases or decreases as you mess with the refresh rate. (really only noticable with like 60hz and 85hz+ (no sense comaring like 72hz and 75hz)