Sign in to follow this  
CharmedLover84

8800GTX - Why won't it get along with a 6600GT?

::scratches her head::

First, to the first reply there, I want the 640 versions because they perform better in the benchmarks and games that matter to me than the 320 versions.

Second, to Viper, ... I can't say this enough in this thread apparently.

My want for a second card that will work in this rig has NOTHING to do with PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT ;)

I want it SOLELY for the third monitor. Period. I may benchmark and test some games in SLI, but I don't plan on running it, if I do get a second 8800GTX or 2 8800GTS 640s and sell my current GTX.

I meant for your third card you could get one of those cheaper ones. I didn't know you wanted to get another gtx or two 640 gts's for sli first.

::scratches her head::

First, to the first reply there, I want the 640 versions because they perform better in the benchmarks and games that matter to me than the 320 versions.

Second, to Viper, ... I can't say this enough in this thread apparently.

My want for a second card that will work in this rig has NOTHING to do with PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT ;)

I want it SOLELY for the third monitor. Period. I may benchmark and test some games in SLI, but I don't plan on running it, if I do get a second 8800GTX or 2 8800GTS 640s and sell my current GTX.

Well dang now I feel like I got myself in the dog house and the best course of action is to just say "Yes Dear" lol.

A pair 8800GTS/640's would probably be the best of both worlds for ya. You could run them as a two singles for your dual monitor setup or SLI em for gaming.

If what ever you do involves selling your 8800GTX then the faster you move the better so you can get a good price for it. Over the next 4-6 weeks their used resale value is going to be dropping with the AMD's R600's and NV's 8900's coming on line in April...with the latter probably before the former.

Viper

or you could simply get the equiv of that 6600 in ATI flavor (X1600?) and use an ATI driver for it

or you could just get an older ATI card (PCI or PCI-E) that XP will recognize and install it's own drivers for (something other than an Nvidia card)

or you could simply get the equiv of that 6600 in ATI flavor (X1600?) and use an ATI driver for it

or you could just get an older ATI card (PCI or PCI-E) that XP will recognize and install it's own drivers for (something other than an Nvidia card)

Unfortunately I don't have any ATI Filth around...

Sorry the F word slipped out. I don't have one, although that's not a bad idea, I'll definitely look in to gettin' me a cheapo ATI PCI-E card. Thank you Angry you're a smart one ;)