8800GTX - Why won't it get along with a 6600GT?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6600GT agp had power connector. but ive NEVER seen a pci-e 6600GT with power jack ...

i agree with TechnoDan. 8xxx series driver's arr special driver devellop for that series only.

while all other nvidia cards had the same driver achitecture. this might be your trouble... have you post that in the nvidia forum on forums.nvidia.com???

Evening folks.

Thought I'd post this question in it's own thread since no one seemed to respond to it when I did it in another thread ;)

I am currently running an 8800GTX as you probably know, but I wanted to run 3 monitors at once, and my only other card I have available is a 6600GT. I installed the 6600GT in the second PCI-E slot, booted up, it installed... rebooted for the install. Bluescreen. Rebooted again. Bluescreen.

The problem is the mix of cards. The 8800 drivers for WinXP are 8800 card specific and do not

support previous cards. Drivers that support cards prior to the 8800's do not support the 8800's.

When you install the drivers for the 6600 it overwrites the 8800 driver specific files of the same

name with driver files that will not work with the 8800. It's an instant blue screen. The reason

it reboots so fast you can't see the error is you still XP set to reboot on a system error.

Viper

Yeah I know that on the quick reboot, but my question is, do you think the installing drivers in a separate area would fix it or no?

I want to give it a try but I have a scarce amount of time to do such things these days.

No as all you are doing when asked is changing the folder where the compressed files in the driver

package will be extracted to for storage before the installer runs.

When the installer runs and actually installs the drivers they will always be placed in the System32

folder.

Viper

Actually I'm still considering the cost/effect/worth of getting 2 8800GTXs or GTS 640s. I'll think about it, no biggie. I'll be hopin' they put out an even cheaper 8 series card soon so I can get it for my third-un ;) lol

Well ya already have one 8800GTX according to your siggy.

From experience running an SLI pair of em in an AMD rig is like slapping lipstick on a pig and expecting it is be voted prom queen. Even a single modded 8800 scales like crap in an AMD rig and was why I finally said bye bye to my 3Ghz FX60 test rig and went to the evil Intel side with a 6600 Conroe/eVGA 680i rig at 3.9Ghz.

All these new high end cards require massive amounts of system speed behind them to keep em data loaded and "be all that they can be" without joining the Army. What surprised me was how much improvement an old stock BFG 7900GTX OC version came up when stuffed into "ConnieEva" compared to the FX60 rig. It was a Whoa Baby lol!

Viper