Sign in to follow this  
justin131

Good Plan? Suggestions?

Well, I want to upgrade to wc. This is my idea: (custom kit at dangerden.com)

Selected options:

CPU Style: AM2

CPU Water Block: Danger Den TDX

Top Style: Lucite - Clear

Video Card Water Block: Acetal MAZE5 GPU Series 2-S Hold down (4-hole mount)

Chipset Water Block: None

Fitting Size: 1/2 OD High Flow Fitting for 1/2 ID Tubing

Radiator: Black Ice Stealth GTS 240 - Black

Fans: None (Buying somewhere else)

Pumps: Danger Den 12V D5 1/2 OD Fittings

Tubing: 7 Feet of Tygon

Reservoir: None

Thermal Paste: None (Already have AS5)

Water Additives: MCT-40 Non-Conductive Fluid (Suggestions?)

Danger Den Fillport: Black Anodized Fillport and Tee

Fillport Reservoir: None

Misc: 12 Hose Clamps Y & T

= $288.04

I am still in the process of maxing my 3800 x2 and with my current temps of 27/38 C on a Scythe Infinity so I think this chip has a lot of potential.

I plan on updating my 3800 x2 to an opty or maybe an fx in 6 months to a year. So I think its a good $300 investment.

Enlighten me. :tooth:

Thanks. Cheers,

Justin

P.S. Im selling my current case to upgrade to a Silverstone TJ09-BW :drool: so that room (and style ;)) wont be an issue.

Great choice on going H2O.

I'd suggest getting 10ft of tubing; with 7 you'll probably come up short.

I don't see any tangible benefits in using the MCT-40; the Zerex works well in my rig. If you want UV dye in it (rather than the standard pink) they have the option of getting it along with some green UV dye; or get the kit with the Zerex and purchase green/blue UV dye separately.

It'll take about 1L to fill the system. The Zerex is mixed w/ about 90-95% distilled H2O; so the 4oz bottle would be plenty for a few fillings.

I'm just curious, why did you choose 1/2" tubing over 3/8"?

Less friction in the tubing; thus less stress on the pump. 1/2" can also handle higher flow-rates; so it has a higher cooling capacity.

Thanks. So Zerex + UV dye + 10ft of tubing.

:D

Exactly! You'll definitely be glad you switched to H2O

i used 11ft of tubing & only cooled my cpu & north. i had like 2" left after my install. so i'd possibily get an extra ft or two, its not like it cost much extra.

pritty annoying to wait if u need to re-order the odd bit.

An optional setup for you:

CPU Water Block: Swiftech Apogee GT $52.95

- I've used both the TDX and the GT, and the GT offers better performance than the TDX for a couple bucks more

Video Card Water Block: Swiftech MCW60 (w/ RAMsinks) $55.95

- Better flow and lower temps than the Maze5, and comes with RAMsinks

Radiator: Thermochill PA120.2 $119.95

- Far and away the "king of cool"

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 (D5) $69.95

- A good, reliable pump

Tubing: 12' Clearflex60 1/2" x 3/4" $10.68

- Basically the same as the Tygon, slightly less flexible, but much cheaper

Water Additives: Swiftech HydrX $2.99

- I've used zerex for ages, but this stuff worked just as good - and is cheaper

Fillport: Danger Den Delrin Fillport and Tee $12.85

- Using delrin will negate any potential mixed-metal issues in your loop

Clamps: 10 Plastic Hose Clamps $4.00

- Standard issue here - but you only need 10 for your setup

Total: $329.32

Difference: $41.28

This will give you MUCH better cooling performance that the setup you created above, for only ~$40 more. You can save about $20 bucks by going with the Maze5 and dropping down to a HWLabs GTX240 Rad.

Peace

@Justin 131

Regarding the MCT-40, I have been considering going to liquid cooling as well. The only reason for using either MCT-5 or -40, is because the stuff is not conductive or at least less conductive than deionized water plus additives.

From what I have read, the MCT products provide about the same degree of cooling as deionized water. The -40 can be used at slightly colder temps than the -5, but unless you are considering putting the return loop of your cooling system into dry ice or ice water, then that really does not matter.

In Thunda's review of the Nautilus 500, I asked a similar question regarding MCT products. Thunda stated in reply, that he used the same volume of MCT-5 in a cooling loop for the past couple of years with no changes with the cooling ability or deterioration of the MCT-5 fluid. Any deionized water system will need to be maintained some what more frequently, especially for bacterial growth. Others can attest to this, I cannot. I find Thunda's comment interesting because it seems that the MCT products can be used quite a bit longer than a water mixture with no ill effects.

Being totally wet behind the ears about liquid cooling, I would be inclined to use a system that's simple to install and simple to maintain. From that point of view, I think that the MCT-5 is an interesting coolant for use, especially because of its very low, to no conductivity. I would be horrified if my first attempt at liquid cooling resulted in a leak that hosed my pc.

@Justin 131

Regarding the MCT-40, I have been considering going to liquid cooling as well. The only reason for using either MCT-5 or -40, is because the stuff is not conductive or at least less conductive than deionized water plus additives.

From what I have read, the MCT products provide about the same degree of cooling as deionized water. The -40 can be used at slightly colder temps than the -5, but unless you are considering putting the return loop of your cooling system into dry ice or ice water, then that really does not matter.

In Thunda's review of the Nautilus 500, I asked a similar question regarding MCT products. Thunda stated in reply, that he used the same volume of MCT-5 in a cooling loop for the past couple of years with no changes with the cooling ability or deterioration of the MCT-5 fluid. Any deionized water system will need to be maintained some what more frequently, especially for bacterial growth. Others can attest to this, I cannot. I find Thunda's comment interesting because it seems that the MCT products can be used quite a bit longer than a water mixture with no ill effects.

Being totally wet behind the ears about liquid cooling, I would be inclined to use a system that's simple to install and simple to maintain. From that point of view, I think that the MCT-5 is an interesting coolant for use, especially because of its very low, to no conductivity. I would be horrified if my first attempt at liquid cooling resulted in a leak that hosed my pc.

Using zerex works very well. To be certain that bacteria are kept under control; just use a 92/8-90/10% H2O/Zerex mix rather than the 95/5% mix stated on the bottle. If your absolutely paranoid just add a few drops of Biocide.

In terms of conductivity there isn't much to be worried about; distilled/deionized H2O is far less conductive than regular water.