DFI NF4 Ultra-D & HR-05 sli

albedan

A couple of months ago the fan on my dfi ultra-d started making a bad noise... it's not unbearable but this little fan is definitely the loudest part of my pc (and I know lots of you have already had similar experiences..).

It seems to me that the best solution is the thermalright hr-05 sli (no more 40x40 mm fans :) ) . I've read several reviews (all excellent), many of them with a lanparty DFI nf4, but I've never seen a comparison of the thermal performance with the heatsink mounted with the heatpipes toward the cpu or the other way. Considering I'm not gonna use the second pci-express slot, I could mount the heatsink in both ways.

Personally I think it could be better to mount it with the heatpipes and fins far from the cpu, as I have a case with two front intake 80mm fans, and in this way the hr-05 sli could receive a better airflow..

Any opinions/experiences?

Should work just fine, the HR-05 is really a gift from God. Totally silent and works like a charm, used mine with a Expert motherboard and mounted it horizontally, temps never exceeded 40C, had 2x120MM fans as intake.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it has arrived today and I've mounted it a few hours ago. Well, it's marvelous :cool:

Temperatures taken today before and after changing the heatsink (idle/load):

Stock cooling: 47°/53°

HR-05 sli: 39°/45°

And I'm using the new heatsink with no fan on it. I'm really impressed :)